• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does Mobile Hotspot cost me?

What service are you stealing? You are paying for an UNLIMITED data plan. That means you can use the VZW data network without restriction. It is VZW stealing by making you pay again for something you ALREADY pay for.

Its like charging you for the ABILITY to make phone calls and then again for ACTUALLY making them.

Your plan is for unlimited data for your mobile device only. It does not include every computer within WiFi range.

Claiming otherwise is simply practicing purposeful ignorance.

As far as your phone call analogy goes, you are correct. You pay a monthly fee for a set number of minutes. If you go over your plan minutes, you pay extra. The data plan includes unlimited access for your device and zero megabytes for tethering, so you must pay extra to tether.

Reactions: wonderbread
Upvote 0
I am SHOCKED that a "Guide" here would suggest that a member break the law by stealing this service. It's one thing for normal users to post ways to steal services from Verizon. IMO the Guides/Mods should delete those posts and warn the users. But for a Guide/Mod to actually encourage someone to steal service from verizon ... that's just wrong. I imagine the people that own/run this site might be in some sort of legal trouble by allowing/encouraging this. I'm not an attorney so all this is nust my opinion. I've been part of forums that have done things like this and have been warned by the company in question to cease and desist.

Calm down lil guy... so not that serious...

Upvote 0
Just called and got mine activated. I asked for a trial so the VZW operator credited my account $3.35 so I can try it out for 5 days. It's roughly .67 cents a day equaling $20 a month for 2gb. I prob won't keep it but its working great.:)
I have a mifi (paid for by the company where I work). It works great. I was in the Verizon Wireless site in the Dallas area a few weeks ago and used my wifi. It was amazingly fast. Faster than my cable modem at home.

Upvote 0
I decided to try the HotSpot and it displayed this warning.

"You need the 3G Mobile Hotspot feature from Verizon Wireless in order to use this service. While the 3G Mobile Hotspot is active, on-device application will continue to work and use the 3G Mobile Hotspot data feature allowance."

So looks like we have to add a service to use HotSpot ?

When I login to myverizon and check available services I don't see 3G Mobile Hotspot as an option. Not that I want to pay for this but I did want to find out how much should I ever need it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones