• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Does SD Card Speed Matter?

SD cards come in several speed ratings with Class 10 as the fastest. Does anyone know it the card speed matters to the Flytouch? There have been several posts on the same subject re different phones and they all say it doesn't matter, but I wondered if that also applies to the FT3.

The internal tf card that comes with the tablet seems to be either class 2 or class 4. The consensus seems to be that a class 4, and probably even the class 2 is perfectly adequate for the job it has to do, there was a post about a class 10 card actually being slower than the original class 2/4 card because of poor random write speeds. My feelings are that if I want to watch a film, which I would normally do from the external tf card I would put it on a faster card because there would not be many random writes involved in watching a film, I want the playback to stutter free, and the price difference between a class 4 and a class 10 is negligible......Win - win!

Upvote 0
The internal tf card that comes with the tablet seems to be either class 2 or class 4. The consensus seems to be that a class 4, and probably even the class 2 is perfectly adequate for the job it has to do, there was a post about a class 10 card actually being slower than the original class 2/4 card because of poor random write speeds. My feelings are that if I want to watch a film, which I would normally do from the external tf card I would put it on a faster card because there would not be many random writes involved in watching a film, I want the playback to stutter free, and the price difference between a class 4 and a class 10 is negligible......Win - win!

I just ordered a class 10 card. I'll test it and report on this forum if it makes a difference. Although I can play YouTube class videos on my Flytouch, streaming video HD movies crash. I doubt the faster card will matter, but never know until you try.

Upvote 0
I just ordered a class 10 card. I'll test it and report on this forum if it makes a difference. Although I can play YouTube class videos on my Flytouch, streaming video HD movies crash. I doubt the faster card will matter, but never know until you try.

The Class 10 card did indeed make a difference. Netflix HD video is perfect, although sound is garbled (anyone know why?) HBO GO sound is perfect, but video is halting. I'll keep working at it. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones