Does Sprint allow unlocked phones

1. Atalon

Atalon New Member

Has anyone been able to confirm whether or not Sprint will accept phones that don't have their logo on it and are "unlocked"?

I do not like the looks of the HTC Hero (assuming that is the phone then end up coming out with). Between the chin and the girly colors I don't want to be seen with this phone. I am really starting to like the Samsung Galaxy, even with the small and goofy sounding software keyboard problem. Also since I really don't like Palm anything (had to deal with their issues as an IT guy for years).

If Sprint doesn't accept phone models they don't also sell directly I am going to have to take a good look at the carriers that do have the phones I like or are willing to let them fully on their network.

Advertisement
    :
  2. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

In a word "No".

Couple years back my partner's phone went dead, completely dead. I gave him one of my old nokias (I'm just a dork and like to upgrade every year or two even if the phone is fine). It was unlocked but Sprint said "no" because it wasn't one of "their" phones. I doubt they've changed that policy.
  3. ScottAgain

ScottAgain New Member

First, Sprint and Verizon use CDMA networks, whereas T-Mobile and others use GSM (so the radio's are not compatible). A friend recently bought a costly T-Mobile phone from a friend, only to find it won't work on his Verizon plan for this reason.

Second, as of about a year ago (and maybe still today), Sprint keeps a database of the IMEI numbers of every device on their network. When you try a foreign device, they will disallow the connection.

Regards,
    Scott
  4. ltamake

ltamake Member

That is definitely right.

Also, keep in mind that even though an unlocked phone will work on a network it's not intended to, the network will not provide any support for your phone. And that 3G may not work.
  5. ChrisPlague

ChrisPlague Well-Known Member

No it will not work, even sprint phones on verizon and vice versa