Does Sprint allow unlocked phones

Last Updated:

1. Atalon

Atalon New Member

Has anyone been able to confirm whether or not Sprint will accept phones that don't have their logo on it and are "unlocked"?

I do not like the looks of the HTC Hero (assuming that is the phone then end up coming out with). Between the chin and the girly colors I don't want to be seen with this phone. I am really starting to like the Samsung Galaxy, even with the small and goofy sounding software keyboard problem. Also since I really don't like Palm anything (had to deal with their issues as an IT guy for years).

If Sprint doesn't accept phone models they don't also sell directly I am going to have to take a good look at the carriers that do have the phones I like or are willing to let them fully on their network.

2. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

In a word "No".

Couple years back my partner's phone went dead, completely dead. I gave him one of my old nokias (I'm just a dork and like to upgrade every year or two even if the phone is fine). It was unlocked but Sprint said "no" because it wasn't one of "their" phones. I doubt they've changed that policy.
  3. ScottAgain

ScottAgain New Member

First, Sprint and Verizon use CDMA networks, whereas T-Mobile and others use GSM (so the radio's are not compatible). A friend recently bought a costly T-Mobile phone from a friend, only to find it won't work on his Verizon plan for this reason.

Second, as of about a year ago (and maybe still today), Sprint keeps a database of the IMEI numbers of every device on their network. When you try a foreign device, they will disallow the connection.

4. ltamake

ltamake Member

That is definitely right.

Also, keep in mind that even though an unlocked phone will work on a network it's not intended to, the network will not provide any support for your phone. And that 3G may not work.
  5. ChrisPlague

ChrisPlague Well-Known Member

No it will not work, even sprint phones on verizon and vice versa