• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does temperature affect the Note 3?

Not yet - but I would expect battery performance to drop. No doubt they publish temperature tolerances. Some batteries do better in the cold than others.

I'm guessing that a lot of the time, most Notes would be close enough to pick up body heat when you are carrying them?

I usually carry my phone in my bag, and with my previous phone (Nokia N8), the cold would eat up the battery much faster than in warm weather.

Upvote 0
That would make sense. There is a 10,000mAh ultra high capacity battery on the way which would probably solve that.

That sounds awesome, would be great for travelling too!

I guess I'll just have to wait for winter to strike. I'll post here if I notice any noticeable battery draining, in case someone has need for the info. :)

EDIT; "notice any noticeable"??? Should not be writing when tired.. :D

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0
Haven't had winter here yet (actually, I don't think they've had winter anywhere this phone went on sale yet unless you're a beta tester) but I had my Note 2 during the last winter and was constantly wandering around outside with it. The battery will drain faster. That's not a Samsung thing, that's just an electronics thing. It's all relative though as my Note 2 would still have juice when lesser phones were starting to get low.

Keeping it inside your jacket while not using it is good practice. If you can't and you won't be getting to someplace you can charge it at some point of the day, then you'll want to carry a spare battery or charging pack inside your jacket.

Upvote 0
Haven't had winter here yet (actually, I don't think they've had winter anywhere this phone went on sale yet unless you're a beta tester) but I had my Note 2 during the last winter and was constantly wandering around outside with it. The battery will drain faster. That's not a Samsung thing, that's just an electronics thing. It's all relative though as my Note 2 would still have juice when lesser phones were starting to get low.

Keeping it inside your jacket while not using it is good practice. If you can't and you won't be getting to someplace you can charge it at some point of the day, then you'll want to carry a spare battery or charging pack inside your jacket.
Winter has not started here yet either, as I said in my OG post "winter is coming".
I just wanted to know about the temperature effects to know beforehand, that should I start carrying around a portable charger or something, as I sometimes did with the Nokia N8 I had before. :)

Upvote 0
I'm of the school that I charge any time I'm near some place to charge, work, home or in my car. The battery will take it. It doesn't like being fully discharged. (That and I work underground and my phone is a source of light in the event of a power failure. (It's actually saved our butts once already.) A lot will depend on how often you have it out in the open and running though. If you constantly have it out and running, it will take a hit on battery life. It's not as bad as the old batteries used to but it will take a hit due to cold.

Upvote 0
Gah! I wanted to hit Iceland but my usual carriers all consider that a seasonal route. I guess they don't see the lure of the lights as being a reason to go there.
The advantage of Iceland is both [a bit of] daytime Whales and night Aurora. But there's a general problem with sea sites later in the year of fog. Also there's never a guarantee with Aurora. The eleven year cycle is on the way down at the moment - but not far yet.

Other options are to stay in North America (lame!) or hit up one of N,S,F. I've heard the people aren't exactly outgoing?
I don't think that matters.
Which takes some of the fun out of my usual travel style.
Oh fair enough. Never, ever go to N Wales.

Upvote 0
Gah! I wanted to hit Iceland but my usual carriers all consider that a seasonal route. I guess they don't see the lure of the lights as being a reason to go there. Other options are to stay in North America (lame!) or hit up one of N,S,F. I've heard the people aren't exactly outgoing? Which takes some of the fun out of my usual travel style.

If N,S,F meaning Norway, Sweden and Finland, some people are not very outgoing, but some are. Pretty much like everywhere. Some say that Finns for example are all depressed and just drink alot, but that does not apply to all of us :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones