Does the Incredible support EMS (enhanced messaging)?General

Last Updated:

1. bbonox

bbonox Active Member This Topic's Starter

In every dumbphone I've had on Verizon, if I sent a message to other people on Verizon and went past the 160 character limit, I could keep typing and it would send the message as one SMS (it might have counted for billing purposes as more, but the recipient only saw one message).

Ever since I've been using smartphones though (tbh, only Blackberry Curve 8330 and BB Tour), I haven't been able to do this -- it won't let me type at all past 160, and as far as I can tell there's been no way to change that.

Is that supported on the Incredible, natively or using a third party app like Handcent?

Advertisement
  2. ICanCin2U

ICanCin2U Active Member

I can confirm that Handscent absolutely does continue for atleast 3 messages. Though I don't remember if stock does it, but frankly with as much as I love Handscent, to me it doesn't matter. But, I believe it is supported by stock. :D

3. xmonkey

xmonkey Well-Known Member

I believe the stock app does as well.

4. MrTissues

MrTissues Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if the Google Voice app will do this?

5. ShortBusHEMI

ShortBusHEMI Well-Known Member

I believe it works like winmo phones.. it'll let you type as much as you want.. it just breaks it down into 160 char messages that you don't see.

6. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

^^this

7. paimon.soror

paimon.soror Well-Known Member

That is one thing I hated about my 9550, couldn't the messaging app couldn't enter more than 160 chars at a time, so either I had to truncate every damn word I typed or send one message and then quickly finish the thought in another message.

8. todoubled

todoubled Member

I tried posting yesterday but had lots of issues but here it is.

Yes it does. If you look as you type the text it counts down the characters you have left and has which text you are on ie: 160/1 once you get past the 160 the counter will change to 160/2. hope this helps can't think of how to explain this better. also the counter is right above the send button when in portrait and it is in the upper right hand corner of the screen in landscape.

9. jlb0305

jlb0305 Well-Known Member

From my experience it will list multiple messages (one said 25/2 for remaining characters). In the user manual or verizons site it said something about charging for both messages but the end receiver only gets the first. I haven't asked the person I sent it to and since I read that i have just stuck to the 160 characters and then pasted the remaining text and sent it separately.