• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does Virgin Mobile Kyocera Hydro Vibe work with foxfi?

Anne Kate

Lurker
Dec 22, 2014
I found out yesterday that Virgin Mobile had cancelled their $15/month mobile hotspot plan which I've been using for months. I use the phone for data only as a mobile hotspot for my laptop. The $15 monthly fee added 1GB high speed to my $35 / 2.5GB plan which was a good deal, I think.

Now I'm using foxfi which works fine with my HTC Evo 4G.

Does anyone know if Kyocera Hydro Vibe (no root) works with foxfi? USB tether is fine.

I read somewhere that it doesn't. I bought the Hydro Vibe to replace the Evo 4G but now I need a phone that works with foxfi and I was wondering if I should return it. It's brand new, unopened.

Thanks.

I have been playing with this off and on. I found the WiFi option is rather useless because they all try to use the built in options that make it say you need a tether plan.

Only ways i've found to get around this is either USB Tether or Bluetooth tether. I have gotten those parts to work with the Sprint version of FoxFi (no root). There also ClockworkMod Tether (no root) which can use to tether via USB.

But if you need wireless you may need to invest in some cheap usb Bluetooth adapters if your current setups don't have them.

Upvote 0
Since Troy is the reason I was able to root my phone in the first place I will say what worked for me after 3 ours of searching around and using apps. I was surprised tether for root and mobile hotspot combination did not work like it did on my lg optimus f3 So after searching online for help and trying a bunch of apps just finding similar problems with no answer, I even looked around to see if I could freeze the stupid virgin mobile wifi app that was messing with every tether app in the systems for a while then I looked at the out rageous tethering place for five bucks a day -_-. Just as i was about to give up I found a new app called wifi tether routher which works great. Good speeds can watch hd video fine over 4g on my asus memo pad 7 which is the reason I needed wifi tethering. Spread the word about the app. So far the only way to get around virgin mobiles new built in wifi app I have seen. The app was specifically designed to get around carriers in house apps so be careful not to get caught with it lol browse on your phone also so they don't think your high data usage is fishy. Now to figure out how to get 4.4 update and root. The app costs a few bucks btw.

Upvote 0
Old topic but anyways, I use PDANet+ and have used both USB mode for my desktop and Bluetooth for my tablet (great for power outages or ISP downtime). Wifi mode on PDANet+ does not work, gives me the "Hotspot error" with message "You are not subscribed to Hotspot. Do you want to see subscription options?" For me USB and Bluetooth mode is enough.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones