• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does youtube uses full data?

DavidNCali

Sep 27, 2014
When you are not finishing the video and decided to exit the screen? When I stream youtube videos on LTE, it loads up so fast that it would go from 0 to 100 percent in less than 10 seconds... For example, if I stream a 20 minute video, it would finish loading the whole video in like less than 20 seconds.. Sometimes I'm not entertained enough to watch the whole video, so I decide to exit the video at around 5 minute.. If I only watch 5 minute of video, does that still take up the whole data because the server basically finish downloading the video? If so, that would really eat up my data because I like to watch random videos and exit them before I have the chance to finish watching the video.. Can anybody confirm this or do I need to do some testing..

if I stream a 20 minute video, it would finish loading the whole video in like less than 20 seconds.. Sometimes I'm not entertained enough to watch the whole video, so I decide to exit the video at around 5 minute.. If I only watch 5 minute of video, does that still take up the whole data because the server basically finish downloading the video?

Yes, if the entire video has already downloaded then your mobile carrier would count the whole video, not just what you watched.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones