• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Don't GotRadio

jefboyardee

Extreme Android User
Jan 18, 2011
I have some radio station, tried several, running through GotRadio, via TuneIn. I run it through an ancient HP Pavilion with 2GB RAM, W7HP and Firefox. Whatever station I' m tuned to, it cuts out after a few minutes, then I have to click Try Again or reload the page, which only get me a few more minutes.

To try and fix this, I have tried:

Choosing the 128 kb MP3 stream is intermittent as described, 64 kb AAC 64 doesn't work at all.

From the error pop, it doesn't matter if I chooseFlash 8 or 9, HTML5 and/or Silverlight.
Even the Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin, which sounds perfect, isn't.​

Of the Media Types through TuneIn settings, these are active, have tried each, all, some
MP3
Windows Media Player (with its streaming turned on)
Real Player
Flash
QuickTime is not active, but I have tried it.

Dubious Firefox addons like TryAgain don't help either, although I'm not sure they're supposed to.

I've also talked with my ISP, they say I'm getting a healthy signal.
I get, or I cause, the same treatment with alternatives like 181.fm.

Since all the variations produce the same intermittent result, I have to assume it's due to my ancient PC. So that leaves me with one question:

Is there a Windows trick, a Firefox addon or something that allows for an intermittent internet connection on an ancient PC?

Last edited:
That Windows IP Configuration I tacked on inspired me to disconnect my ethernet and hook up my seldom-used Klink USB tether. It's been working interruption-free for about twenty minutes. That led to another thing that might be the gremlin, back on the ethernet side, my wifi router. As I recall, the problem existed before I installed it, but not as often. So I ditched the tether and repatched the ether with the router uninvolved, and that worked too. Then I put it all back the way it was and the problem returned. I'm starting to think it's this Belkin router. Two hours pass...

I returned the Belkin cheapo router for a Netgear less cheaper one. I am, so far, listening to radio with absolutely no interruptions. That's what I get for trying to save ten bucks, but time will tell.

Upvote 0
You ride far better elevators than I do.

Okay, I'll withdraw the exclusion – just happy to see my radio working fine the next day.

As for music, I find myself going back to 90s Alternative, seems like that was the swan song of what is loosely considered as rock. But of course, those considerations are tightly bound with one's age... I'm guessing that you're about five hundred years old? ;)

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones