• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help DoubleTwist & Ubuntu

Anybody else using Ubuntu and trying to get DoubleTwist??

I successfully downloaded and installed through WINE but it isn't launching :thinking:

EDIT: We should get specific threads for Linux/Android, MAC/Android. I feel like Android should be as compatible with Linux as WinMo is with Windows, or iPhag with MAC

Don't bother trying to install doubletwist through WINE. WINE does not have support for USB, so you wouldn't be able to sync anyway. To sync my music (instead of copy and pasting into a folder), I use a fork of Amarok 1.4 called Pana and set the phone as a generic audio player. You can find it in this ppa https://launchpad.net/~philip5/+ppa-packages

There are other options, but I've been using Amarok forever (the new one didn't work so well), and it's a piece of cake.

Reactions: NoShftShck16
Upvote 0
Anybody else using Ubuntu and trying to get DoubleTwist??

I successfully downloaded and installed through WINE but it isn't launching :thinking:

EDIT: We should get specific threads for Linux/Android, MAC/Android. I feel like Android should be as compatible with Linux as WinMo is with Windows, or iPhag with MAC

Is it safe to assume that Rhythmbox cannot Sync? I've heard of other users being able to.

Upvote 0
Is it safe to assume that Rhythmbox cannot Sync? I've heard of other users being able to.

Rhythmbox will sync, but I like how I can specify a directory on Pana/Amarok and it organizes my files however I like them (/artist/album/song.mp3)

The doubletwist developers have pretty much shot down porting it to linux when asked and there's even a thread in their forums from people who want it on linux. I don't understand why they're so hesitant... linux is the perfect platform for their software. It's pretty much an itunes replacement, and we don't have itunes.

Upvote 0
I find it completely baffling that the Doubletwist devs would balk at the notion of supporting Linux, and support mac instead. Why are they supporting mac at all? Is their product not a replacement for iTunes? The cognitive dissonance at work here is astounding! They support a platform which no one will use their software on, and explicitly refuse to support a platform which comprises AT LEAST 40% of Android's entire user base. Is anyone else finding this as ignorant, asinine and ass-backwards as I am???

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones