• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Downloaded Apps on an Unrooted Phone

Rhuderalis

Lurker
Feb 3, 2011
I quite often download apps from torrent sites etc. and give them a test run on my phone before I buy from the app store (90% of the time to check compatibility before purchase, bad experiences have taught me to do this). My phone isn't rooted, I'm wondering if there's anyway HTC/Orange etc. can detect I've done this and void my warranty? Or for that matter if there are any other risks involved?

Are there no other implications? In the eyes of the law I'm guessing this is effectively piracy, even though 90% of the time I'll end up buying the app and the other 10% deleting it cos it's rubbish or doesn't work. Do the android store not monitor this sort of thing etc?

Soz to dig deeper but it seems odd that I could effectively download and install the entire app store from a torrent site without paying a penny and there would be no repercussions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones