• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

downloading OTA now

Well, the good news is that I guess it's not just my phone. I was able to get to 66% downloaded until it stuck. I waited, and it didn't change. I rebooted, and tried to update, but I'm getting "update is downloading". There is no d/l going, though. I did a factory reset and tried to d/l it again. The update shows, and when i click "download", nothing happens. Something is not right.

Upvote 0
From what I can tell, I can't see anything in my notification bar unless I turn on my wi fi. Then it says suspended and will resume shortly. And that's bs cause gtdtaddm suspended at 2% now for almost 2 hours.

My wife started the download at the same time as me and she is fully installed, and up and running ICS. this phone has always been shit compared to hers and I am more than tired and done with this.

Yeah i turned on wifi and im suspended at 0%, i knew it was a bad idea to try and do this before i went to bed.

Upvote 0
Well, the good news is that I guess it's not just my phone. I was able to get to 66% downloaded until it stuck. I waited, and it didn't change. I rebooted, and tried to update, but I'm getting "update is downloading". There is no d/l going, though. I did a factory reset and tried to d/l it again. The update shows, and when i click "download", nothing happens. Something is not right.

Same problem here.

Upvote 0
Finally got the notice that the update was available. Tried to download and it got stuck at 0% with the message "Download Suspended. Will Resume Shortly" After about 20 minutes I decided to reboot. Same problem. After about 30 minutes, I decided to reboot again and It downloaded fine. Seemed to install fine, but then got to a spot where it said "Android updating. Updating media database." Got stuck there for about 30 minutes. From what I've read, the more stuff you have on your SD card, the longer this part will take. But other than that, it went pretty good. It seems a little smoother and quicker. Not a ton, but noticeable. Only had ICS for about an hour so far, but I'm liking what I see.

Reactions: Thom
Upvote 0
for those of you that the update it stuck you might have to wipe cache in stock recovery to clear out the partial update and try again.

1. power off phone
2. hold both volume buttons and then press the power button till the menu appears
3. use volume down button to get to recovery option and press volume up to select
4. when the android with the ! appears press both volume buttons again
5. you are now in stock recovery
6. use volume down to get to wipe cache partition(do not do a wipe/factory data restore unless you want to erase all your own data) and press power button to select
7. select reboot system and hit power button.

If you were getting the update this should prompt it to start again.

Upvote 0
My update started pushing last night, and got stalled. I had the "Download Suspended. Will Resume Shortly" message, and one about continuing at wifi off-peak time (I should have written that one down when I saw it).
The problem us that I didn't know I was in the soak test. Yeah, I signed up; but Motorola and Verizon are actually great about keeping the community informed.
I spent an hour turning thing off and uninstalling and rebooting because I though it was a virus or rogue program.
This morning I check here and realized my error.
Thanks to Thom Little, I "non-destructive[ly] re-booted, and the updated started up again.
Full download.
Hit the install now button.
[apparently] updated.
Rebooted.
"Update Failed" ?!?!?!
Now what? Did I get soaked? Or SOAKED? Will it try again? Download again? Or do I initiate it?
I didn't get the "Android updating. Updating media database." that tofizzle got, bu my SD is packed.
I will be away from the computer for the rest of the work day (Buffalo, NY), but advice would still be appreciated. Thanks.
[rooted 5.9.905.XT875.Verizon.en.US - still]

Upvote 0
I can happily confirm that ICS found its way to Texas today. It was not pushed to me. I went to settings and checked for updates, as have have done several times each day since October 19. Low and behold, today is was there. Like many others, I had the suspend problem even on my 50 Mbps wi-fi network. After a couple of re-boots, I finally got the download. It installed without any problem. After another re-boot, the quirks went away. So far, my only regret is that I lost my GPS toggle, the one that directly enabled GPS without sending me to settings.

On the other hand, I now appear to have a solid 4G signal, with no drops so far. Happily, Foxfi runs just fine with ICS. In fact, I am typing this on my Asus Transformer Infinity over a wi-fi hot spot provided by my Bionic. In the middle of a 4-story concrete building, I only get 2 bars on my Bionic, but my Transformer is still seeing 12 Mbps. Not bad at all!

One small problem, I would like to disable or freeze the Verizon Remote Diagnostics spy app, but that option is grayed out. I am stock (unrooted). Any thoughts?

Happy in Dallas!

Upvote 0
I have also received the message about updating the media database. It took several hours, but it did complete and everything has run find since. I highly recommend being patient and let it run its process. It is safer as well to leave the phone plugged in while updating to allow for enough battery to finish the update.

Here is to hoping all works great.

Upvote 0
Still downloading...9 hours later.
I tried the clear cache thing. It didn't fix it.

I uninstalled the root only Cisco AnyConnect, restarted the phone, and it started downloading. Hmmm....

"Upgrading Media database." for the last hour. Sigh. I've got about 18-20 GB of music. This is probably going to take a while.

They've been teasing us for the better part of a year. What's a few more hours? :bebored:

Upvote 0
You get the GPS setting on the Power Widget in ICS. No one at a time option; you get all four options or none.

Now THAT I didn't know...thanks! I missed the GPS widget.

Also, I use "Tasker" and now it won't/can't turn GPS on and off for me automatically. I FOUND A FIX...I set Smart Actions to do that and it works for me automatically again.

Upvote 0
Now THAT I didn't know...thanks! I missed the GPS widget.

Also, I use "Tasker" and now it won't/can't turn GPS on and off for me automatically. I FOUND A FIX...I set Smart Actions to do that and it works for me automatically again.

I've been using Tasker as well. Several of my routines easily translated to Smart Actions. I'll be looking into converting some others in the next day or two.

Upvote 0
not true. OTA means Over The Air

i am pulling it over 4g right now. i do not have wifi where i am right now.

Apparently my phone (or Verizon servers) had issues. I ended up just DL'ing the 246 zip to a pc and copying to the SD card.

I also still got GSM enabled and managed to switch the phone to Global Mode which is cool. I can swap sims and still call on GSM including ATT or VZW which has better service. So I got my cake and eat it too. Less data drops hopefully, faster ICS and still GSM service when I need it. I bet the Verzion sim can be provisioned for over seas (like the Razr) and keep my number too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones