Downloading over GPRS..

Last Updated:

1. SupremeBeaver

SupremeBeaver Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I don't have a Desire, but will be getting possibly the Desire HD or the next big release here in Europe. Anyway im planning on using a pay as you go plan, so im not going to have 3G. I'll mainly be using wifi.

So i just wanted to know if its possible to download any data using GPRS (i believe its called). Its really slow, but i could use it to check email and whatnot. Does the Desire allow this, or should u be on either wifi or 3G for it to work?

Advertisement
  2. terry_gardener

terry_gardener Well-Known Member

first of all i am on pay as you go and i get hsdpa connection.

secondly you will be able to use all features on gprs if no 3g/hsdpa connection available, it will just be slower.

3. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

The desire really is designed for a 3G connection or better. You can use it on slower connections, but it's not really designed with that in mind.

4. snowmobile

snowmobile Well-Known Member

At home I only get gprs connection and everything works well just slower. That's the great thing about the desire and the multitasking android offers. You can do something else while data is downloading and not even notice any delay.

5. SupremeBeaver

wow thats great that it will work. And it shouldnt be using any additional battery charge because GPRS is always on for phone calls and sms anyway correct?

6. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

Incorrect. There's a lot more load on the battery when you're actually doing something over GPRS than when it's just sitting idly, which is why making a phone call eats battery power.

7. SupremeBeaver

ah yes of course. Is this load more so than when doing the same thing on 3G or wifi do you think?