• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid acting up

747tech

Dec 29, 2009
Droid started acting up yesterday ant it climaxed with Panda home failing to start up on power up. The software froze. I couldn't do anything.
I wiped the phone and started over without Panda Home.
Now I notice when I open advanced app killer it seems apps are starting up without my using them first.
Voice dialer
Settings
Market
Corporate Calendar
Messaging
And a few others.
Any thoughts?

Droid started acting up yesterday ant it climaxed with Panda home failing to start up on power up. The software froze. I couldn't do anything.
I wiped the phone and started over without Panda Home.
Now I notice when I open advanced app killer it seems apps are starting up without my using them first.
Voice dialer
Settings
Market
Corporate Calendar
Messaging
And a few others.
Any thoughts?

Here's what I think: Get rid of Advanced App Killer. Android manages it's own apps and is very good at it. Those apps aren't running in the sense that programs run in a Window environment. They are loaded in ram and android will kill anything it needs to in order to do it's tasks at hand. When you kill an app, it will now have to start up cold rather than just be activated from ram. Check the forums and you will find many discussions about why we don't need and should not use a task killer.

All of the replace home apps have caused problems on some phones. I loved Home++ and it lagged my phone and occasionally force closed. Then I fell in love with the Home Screen/Launcher from 2.1. It was the same. Search the forums and you will find many, many occasions of problems with home replacement apps.

Also, you will have 2.1 and it's excellent Home app soon and Panda Home can be a thing of the past.

Good luck and have fun.

Upvote 0
There is a reason why it appears that certain apps are started when you don't use them, and it's probably not the apps them selves that are starting but just the service. Messaging for example is used by the system to retrieve text messages if it's not running then it doesn't retrieve messages. Even if you install a 3rd Party application such handcent it still depends upon the messaging service.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones