• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid Bricked itself..un-Brick?

droidpcguru

Android Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2009
Northwestern PA, USA
Hi All:)

I've been searching for about two hours, and not found the answer I'm looking for(Probably missed it in my frustration)...

Today my Droid decided to reboot itself..and went directly to the Bootloader:(

I've tried everything..Factory reset(Which seems to fail)..redoing the 2.0.1 update(Which says there is an error in the .zip every time)..formatting the SD card..

Best I get is once in a while it will boot up like a spanking new Droid-Exexpt the wireless radio does not function-no way to enable the network..but wifi works:mad:. To get it to fire upo I have to Format the SD card everytime.

So here is my question... I know there are recovery images/2.1 images out there.. Just how to flash them into the phone? The bootloader says ready to program..

Again, I most likely missed the how-to, and a lot of the links to the files needed are broken anyhow.

Thanks in advance!:p

Did you try booting your DROID without the sdcard? That should work, no problem. The DROID deosn't "need" an sdcard to boot.

Tried both.. same loop. In fact the ONLY way it would boot is with a freshly formatted SD card:(

I would exchange it for another droid. I wouldn't trust a device that did that even if it did get fixed. Just my 2 cents

After fighting with it for a couple more hours, I called Verizon. The tech said I tried everything he had to suggest already, and promptly overnighted me one. It should be here Tuesday(As long as FedEx doesn't shut down for the holiday). I switched my service to an old BB Curve I had.

Then..about an hour and a half later, I decided to try the Droid.. It fired up perfectly..:rolleyes:. So I rebooted it about 10 times without a hiccup..just like a fresh/new Droid.:mad::thinking::rolleyes:

I promptly called Verizon back, since I don't want to be charged retail for sending back a working Droid, and they told me to send it back anyhow..not to take chances. They say even though it works now, it probably won't keep working(For once they thought the same as we all do):p. I had them re-activate it for now anyhow until the new one arrives(the short time with the Curve was driving me bonkers anyhow). Hopefully it hangs on until then.

I'll be glad to have a new one anyhow as this one is a little scratched(yes even the screen), plus not have to worry about this one crapping out again. Hopefully I get a newer build date also.

Still, If anyone has a how-to or links to one on how to reflash from the bootloader screen, it may help someone else in the future:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones