• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid Incredible OC'ed to 1.5ghz?? Possible Root?

From a comment post in that link:

Jake Day wrote on 05/24/10 9:40 PM
As I said previously, my friend has the rooted Incredible, so just taking a pic is not that simple (although I sent him an email asking for one).

I'd be happy to go over the steps to gain root. In that same email to my friend, I asked for the exact steps (to make sure we are on the same page). I'll get back with you all shortly.

In the mean time, I'm working on a froyo build for the Droid with a 2.6.32 kernel. Expect that soon as well.

Upvote 0
Android phones are Linux based, and as such the permissions are very similar. On a Linux system, the user only has access to certain folders, while others are protected.

The term "root" means "root directory", as in the highest folder level on the system. If you were to look at the location bar in Astro or whatever, you'll see things like "/sdcard/Dropbox" or "/emmc/media/video". Start going up until you can't go up any more and the location is simply "/", or "root".

Back to Linux terms. All Linux machines have what's called a "root user" which is a fancy term for an admin account. To install software or modify system settings, you need root permission. If you open up a computer using Ubuntu or Arch or whatever and login as root, you have full access to the machine. Login as a user and you don't.

When we talk about "rooting" the phone, we mean giving ourselves access to modify that root directory and, thus, every single file and folder on the phone, something that we can't do currently.

Thanks for taking the time - it's much appreciated.

Upvote 0
Not gonna lie, when I first saw this a couple days ago, I just assumed it was a bunch of jibberish and that some guy was trying to con a free phone out of someone gullible enough. If that other dev with a respectable history is backing this guy up then I'm cautiously optimistic now!

*Commence fidgeting around like a little kid anticipating a new toy*

Upvote 0
hmmm still no proof yet.

Nope no proof yet, I even reached out and asked him if he gained root through a few exploits/methods we are trying, haven't heard back yet.
So we will see I guess.....
I am a very cynical Dev so I dunno really....
We are all still working on it, but there are always people that say they have it when they don't, hell I thought we rooted the Eris once and turns out we exploited and rooted the HTC Tattoo instead...lol.

Upvote 0
Nope no proof yet, I even reached out and asked him if he gained root through a few exploits/methods we are trying, haven't heard back yet.
So we will see I guess.....
I am a very cynical Dev so I dunno really....
We are all still working on it, but there are always people that say they have it when they don't, hell I thought we rooted the Eris once and turns out we exploited and rooted the HTC Tattoo instead...lol.

yeah i remember that. i about threw my eris against the wall. luckily i didnt. now im i can sell it.:p

Upvote 0
Hmm the only thing that makes me interested in root access is Froyo.. and the accompanying option of having a Mobile Hotspot...

After seeing how always installing hybrid OS on my Blackberry worked out.. I might just keep this phone in its 'from the store' form......

but damn, 2 ghz? My phone would have more processing power than my fathers PC lol

Upvote 0
But still you'd think the same technique used to root the evo would be adaptable to the incredible in some form. I just don't trust friends of friends who claim to have gotten it done with no input from the developing community. I could be wrong and hope i am but i don't think this is going to end with us any closer to root access than we already are.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones