• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help DROID Incredible random restart/reboot problem

this is a network issue IMHO. Mine reboots every single time I switch towers. I sit here at the house with wifi turned off all day long with no reboot..hop in the car and head for winston and BANG reboots.

Sunday round 4pm, I'm heading to NJ in the car. I'll be real interested to see if my reboot issue goes away.

Other than this endearing reboot issue, phone is pretty gawtdamned perfect. LOL

/edit when I called 611 the analyst I talked to had no acknowledgement of a systemic issue, but that doesn't surprise me.

While connected to my home Wi-Fi, it's amazing, It's as fast as my desktop PC and the battery has lasted over 5 hours with constant data usage and still shows half charged.

Now, Verizon, just fix the damn signal strength problem! CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW!!!

Upvote 0
At my home in Pleasant Garden, NC I have no problems... Not a single reboot... I work in Asheboro and I didn't have a single reboot all day. I went to a restaurant in Greensboro with some friends and my phone rebooted around 5 times. I'm gonna say this is definitely a tower problem. Phone is awesome otherwise.

Upvote 0
Anyone from NC have an update from Verizon? Also, has anyone else noticed incredibly bad (no pun intended) battery life? I'm getting about 6 hours. I'm sure constant rebooting has a lot to do with it. When I look to see what's been eating the battery I see "Android System" at over 50%, and display is a distant 2nd. I'm thinking that this is a symtom of whatever network issue they are having.

Upvote 0
I had my wife call the Salisbury, NC store this morning to see if they had any instock, since my account has already been noted to replace my phone. But, when she told the Customer Service Rep what it was doing, he said they now have a fix for it. He said I just have to bring it into the store and they would apply the fix. I will go down there today after I get off of work. But, I still want my phone replaced, since I noticed it had a small spec, of what appears to be dust, under the screen and it drives me crazy. Am I asking to much to replace it for that? But I also noticed absolutly horrible battery life. I had it cut off over night after a full charge was done. I cut it on this morning at 7am and have made a 5 min call, and sent like 5 or 6 text in between boots, and my battery is already at 50% as of right now.

Reactions: cdandrews
Upvote 0
I had my wife call the Salisbury, NC store this morning to see if they had any instock, since my account has already been noted to replace my phone. But, when she told the Customer Service Rep what it was doing, he said they now have a fix for it. He said I just have to bring it into the store and they would apply the fix. I will go down there today after I get off of work. But, I still want my phone replaced, since I noticed it had a small spec, of what appears to be dust, under the screen and it drives me crazy. Am I asking to much to replace it for that? But I also noticed absolutly horrible battery life. I had it cut off over night after a full charge was done. I cut it on this morning at 7am and have made a 5 min call, and sent like 5 or 6 text in between boots, and my battery is already at 50% as of right now.

That sounds promising! Please post back and let us know what the "fix" is, and if it helps.

Upvote 0
I received my phone on the 29th and it rebooted probably 20 times before I cut it off before going to bed. Yesterday it only rebooted twice and hasnt done it since about 2pm yesterday so I'm hoping it is fixed. I called the Greensboro rep and he said that he has been doing hard resets on the phones and that appears to be fixing the problem. So if mine starts doing it again i'll be taking it in for him to do that. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I received my phone on the 29th and it rebooted probably 20 times before I cut it off before going to bed. Yesterday it only rebooted twice and hasnt done it since about 2pm yesterday so I'm hoping it is fixed. I called the Greensboro rep and he said that he has been doing hard resets on the phones and that appears to be fixing the problem. So if mine starts doing it again i'll be taking it in for him to do that. Hope this helps.

Don't waste your time doing a hard reset. I did 3 hard resets on my first DI with no affect at all. If you are still tempted to try it, look near the end of the User Guide and find the instructions to do it yourself.

Upvote 0
That is most likely the fix.............here's the strange part. Drove the route I drove yesterday where I incurred 8 reboots, today......NONE. My up time is 19 hours and ticking. Only difference today was I left WiFi enabled when I left the house.

I watched the phone as I drove, it automatically dropped the WiFi and went bact to 3G or 1X depending upon where I was in my travel.

Anyone else found the issue to be resolved?

Upvote 0
This morning I drove from Lexington to Jamestown and my phone rebooted 3 times.

I decided to reprogram the roaming while I was at work so I dialed *228 and took option 2.

This afternoon around 5 I left and drove home to Lexington. No reboots. I realized that I forgot my phone charger at work so I turned around and drove back to Jamestown. No reboots. I picked up the phone charger and headed back to Lexington. No reboots. I have driven this path every day since I got my phone Tuesday, and tonight was the first time that it didn't reboot.

I am not ready to say that my problem has been fixed, but things are looking good so far. I'll keep you posted.

Upvote 0
That sounds promising! Please post back and let us know what the "fix" is, and if it helps.

I never got back on the "fix" but thats because I never had to go into the store. Mine has not rebooted since 1pm yesterday. I was in Lexington, Greensboro, and Brown Summit, yesterday with no reboots. Battery seems to be doing a whole lot better now. I didnt have time to go to the Verizon store after work, but now I dont have to. Is anyone still having the reboot issue?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones