Droid is now the only Verizon option for a plain google phone!!

Last Updated:

1. potatolover1102

potatolover1102 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

Waaaah Waaaaaaaah
    Turning out to be like VZW's iPhone ideas last year - fail.

3. Rota

Rota Well-Known Member

I don't see the issue here. I like Sense. I like my keyboard better than sense. Others may feel differently.

4. potatolover1102

There is not really an issue just more of a statement that droid can still stand out on its own now without competition because droid incredible is very different with sense ui.

5. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Can't you disable whatever portions of the sense UI that you don't want?

6. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

I know on the eris you can turn off the main parts of sense like Rosie. I have seen people say a couple places that sense cant be turned off on the incredible. Thats completely unconfirmed though

7. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

Sense makes the phone better in every way. My Hero barely lags with it, I'm sure a more powerful phone like the Incredible will have no problem.

8. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

No Nexus for Verizon? Hmm... seems the Cyanogen team better get on the ball optimizing the Droid version instead of focusing on the Nexus.. Looks like the Droid version is going to be more important than they had planned on.

9. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

This is significant because Sense UI overlay virtually indicates that you will not be getting OS updates as quickly or immediately as those running a purer Google experience. While Google won't designate the DROID as a 100% pure Google phone (the Nexus One is), it is the least encumbered Android phone on the market with the hardware specs to handle the next and latest updates.

Sense UI is a huge advantage for a device if the playing field were level (i.e. everyone sporting Android 2.1). But when the OS updates to 2.2 or 3.x, will the Incredible (and other Sense phones) update as quickly as non-Sense phones? The precedence is that no, it will not update because Sense needs to be reconfigured for new features.

One of the things rumored to come out with 2.2 is this whole Core + apps management that will curb fragmentation. Since Sense essentially INTEGRATES all the native apps, when 2.2 drops, how will it differentiate what is native and what is market, since all components will now be located on the market? These are the limitations I see with the Incredible, and why I consider it noteworthy that VZW isn't picking up the N1.

What this means is that, if there is an N1 on the VZW network, why would you EVER buy another phone or device? By having a phone like the DROID and Incredible locked to the VZW, they ultimately have the deciding authority on who and when someone gets an official update, if they ever do. And hey, if you don't want to root to get it unofficially, guess what? You can buy this new phone that VZW is offering! That's why VZ's business model will ALWAYS be more profitable and sustainable than Google's experiment at selling phones.

10. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

We have a winner! 100% true that Incredible releases will lag (no pun intended) behind non-Sense devices. Sense is a battery hog, spin all you folks want. If you like it, please do not complain about battery life ;)

The premise of Android was compromised with Sense and the big hardware jump from 7200 series to 3430 & Snapdragon. Now will will have Flash versions and Flash free versions, Sense, Sense lite, Non-Sense, etc.

Droid may be the last device for rommers to root and go nuts. Android, Motorola and HTC (to name a few) are going out of their way to make custom roms a thing of the past.

11. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member

12. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

So you think current owners of the N1 will still be using it in 3 or even 2 years? At the rate new phones come out, people rarely keep a phone after their contract is up and they are eligible for an upgrade.

13. skunkpbguy

skunkpbguy Well-Known Member

'Non-Sense' sounds best option IMO.. however my Droid has survived more than anyone should request of their phone. ;) Thanks to Rushmore for the Non-Sense idea!

14. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

I don't own a Eris but I do have a Touch Pro 2 and after a few weeks I've determined one thing. Sense is junk! The only reason that I still run it is because WinMo's interface is worse! When I pick up the droid, it feels so much more refined and smooth. I know that this is a little "apples vs. oranges" but Sense takes up too many of the phone's resources and all you get is a prettier interface.

Leave android the hell alone...it isn't WinMo...it doesn't NEED sense!

15. captaincanada84

captaincanada84 Well-Known Member

More than likely there will be something better than the N1 coming out from Google in the next 2-3 years. And there will also be something better than the Droid (perhaps Droid 2) coming out in that time frame as well! I'll probably end up upgrading when the time comes in 2 years, especially if the Droid ends up no longer being supported due to "age".

16. djkeller3

djkeller3 Well-Known Member

Can someone please tell me what the heck is "sense ui"? Seen it talked about here in several places but no description of what it is (or does).

17. captaincanada84

SenseUI is the interface "theme" that HTC layers over Android OS.

djkeller3 likes this.
  18. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

It most certainly is. I really don't see what everyone thinks is so great about Sense UI. Give me Vanilla Android any day.

19. captaincanada84

Oh I definitely think Sense is junk too. It was actually part of the reason I went with the Droid over the Eris. I cant stand Sense.

20. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

I'm about to buy SPB Mobile Shell because it is more "Android like" and I dig that way more than sense...my phone runs really slow and I have tried various ROMs. I'm at 70% RAM being utilized after 1 day with NOTHING else running. No Thanks!

21. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

The reason I prefer Sense is it gives me the ability to turn off mobile web, which is a big time battery saver. My wife's Moment with vanilla android cannot do this and she needs to charge more often than me.

22. potatolover1102

I personally enjoy sense and like it on all platforms. I had the Imagio first and had the HTC whatever it is on their and I loved it. The data config was very nice. There were just little tweaks I enjoyed and I think it is visually cool too.