• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Droid newb with root ????'s

jeraste717

Lurker
Jun 6, 2012
I only recently joined the smartphone legions, and after a month with the lg Optimus I picked up the motorola triumph on virgin mobile. I use the phone for photos and editing, music, websites, games and games system emulators, and hopefully soon, video editing and music production. I already upgraded to a 16g c10 sd card, and am running go launcher ex, but I want more control over what the phone is doing, easier access to files, etc. I learned about rooting by searching for apps to give me that kind of control actually, so it seems like root is the way to go. However, my laptop is out of date and no longer web capable, so my main questions are... Can I "safely" root without a computer to dock with! What's the best backup method to use pre-root? And of course, given the criteria of usages I laid out, what roms and apps would people recommend for post root? I already purchased titanium, so there's that.. Any and all help, even if its a link and an insult, is appreciated ;)

I only recently joined the smartphone legions, and after a month with the lg Optimus I picked up the motorola triumph on virgin mobile. I use the phone for photos and editing, music, websites, games and games system emulators, and hopefully soon, video editing and music production. I already upgraded to a 16g c10 sd card, and am running go launcher ex, but I want more control over what the phone is doing, easier access to files, etc. I learned about rooting by searching for apps to give me that kind of control actually, so it seems like root is the way to go. However, my laptop is out of date and no longer web capable, so my main questions are... Can I "safely" root without a computer to dock with! What's the best backup method to use pre-root? And of course, given the criteria of usages I laid out, what roms and apps would people recommend for post root? I already purchased titanium, so there's that.. Any and all help, even if its a link and an insult, is appreciated ;)[/QUOTe

You just use Brandon's immulator root or gingerbreak

You can get es file explorer or root explorer and even tasker if looking for even more control. I still learning tasker its somewhat advanced IMO. Programmers will love it

Upvote 0
I downloaded astro file explorer to open gingerbreak, as I saw in a virginuser youtube vid on ginger breaking triumph phones, and plan to DL gingerbreak and crack on in, I guess my next question is what steps are needed to protect my rooted phone, and are there any must have apps? IE: superuser is IN GB, yes? Is there anything you need to do post rooting, other than backups before installing new roms and making big changes?
Thanks again, I am pretty sure that I know what I am doing here, but it's better to be safe than sorry =)

Upvote 0
I downloaded astro file explorer to open gingerbreak, as I saw in a virginuser youtube vid on ginger breaking triumph phones, and plan to DL gingerbreak and crack on in, I guess my next question is what steps are needed to protect my rooted phone, and are there any must have apps? IE: superuser is IN GB, yes? Is there anything you need to do post rooting, other than backups before installing new roms and making big changes?
Thanks again, I am pretty sure that I know what I am doing here, but it's better to be safe than sorry =)

Well each developer has their instructions specific to their mod. Now I just backup apps and data with titanium and then do a recovery backup. I use cm7 gingerbread for everyday use and have a froyo backup for HDMI when my family needs it for movies or games

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones