• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid Razr being slow

Is it running Jelly Bean (4.1)? I assume it is. Did you/she do a Factory Data Reset after the update was installed? It is highly recommended to do ONE after any major system upgrade like ICS to JB.

A Factory Data Reset is not a "casual" thing ... you will lose all data and installed apps on the phone when you do it including pictures, music, videos, and contact lists.

(I spent yesterday on the Factory Data Reset I did on my Droid Maxx.)

... Thom

Upvote 0
i've done a bazillion factory resets, and i clear my cache on a super regular basis...yet my Maxx is just a SLUG.

no matter what i've done, or how many times i've done it, i can't get this phone to work as smoothly, or quickly, as it did with Jelly Bean. the lag is just HORRIBLE. it's never liked Ice Cream Sandwich (or in my case, Rotten Egg Sandwich! lol). this phone is just a mess to use. lag, lag, lag.

i've given up, and am heading to a Moto X.

(and btw....my best friend also bought his Maxx at the same time i did, and he too has had the same sluggy, laggy time of things since the ICM update...so it's NOT just 'my' phone.)

Upvote 0
Sorry but I don't follow what you are saying.

Multiple Factory Data Resets should never be required on an un-root-ed phone.

A Factory Data Reset should always be done once after a major system upgrade.

I assume you did the ICS to JB upgrade. Did you do a Factory Data Reset after that point?

If you did then you could try running in Safe Mode (disabling all apps you added without uninstalling them). If the problems stop then the cause is one or more apps that you added.

... Thom

Upvote 0
i misspoke (reversed the names); yes, i went from ICS to JB when it was first released, and JB has been the S-L-O-W factor. i did a factory reset at that point....and have done several this past year since the initial.

and i have gone weeks WITHOUT re-installing apps that i had installed prior to the resets (thus, have gone totally 'stock' for a while), and still the phone just does NOT work at all like it did with ICS.

i dunno what i have not tried over the past year, but i'm all ears as to how to make it run like it use to.

btw...i just did another factory reset this morning, and it does run somewhat quicker immediately after doing so, but still has LAG. no question about it. and i've NOT yet reinstalled ANY apps back on to the phone that were there yesterday, but it's getting laggier here by the minute.

Upvote 0
I had the same problem with my Bionic when going from ICS to JB.

Trying your sin Safe Mode might be interesting.

I assume (just assume) that disabling GPS might help. I spend a lot of time in my office and left GPS off. When I went out I would flip it on.

There are a lot of apps that run GPS in the background to provide helpful information like ... the nearest coffee shop.

I upgraded to the Droid Maxx and it had zero problems under JB. The battery seems to suffer a little under KK.

... Thom

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones