• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid Razr Maxx freezes/runs slow frequently

Hi, my Droid Razr Maxx is only 2-3 years old and I really do not want to get a new phone at this time. For months, my phone has been freezing and/or running very slowly. For the past week or two, I actually have to shut it down almost every day because it is not responding.

I have 16 GB total space. Apps use 1.30GB with 1.18GB available. Internal storage apps use 3.30GB, pictures 776MB, Audio 384KB. Downloads 93.00KB. Available 3.86GB. Available SD 14.49GB.

I don't think I use a lot of GB or have that many pictures.

I do think it might be an app or just all the updates through the years that cause the slow up, just like a Windows computer.

I checked the list of apps on the Droid/Verizon troubleshooting assistant list and don't use any that are know to cause problems.

I went into safe mode to see if an app was causing the problem, but when I rebooted in safe mode, I did not know what to do next to troubleshoot.

If someone can let me know what I need to do in safe mode to find an app that is possibly freezing the phone, I would appreciate it!

Any other tips would be great!

Thank you.

Yes welcome to Android Forums.

I think the most likely cause is a contaminated cache where temporary files are stored). You can clear the cache at any time with no negative effects.

For Safe Mode ... you boot into Safe Mode and all apps that you added are disabled without you uninstalling them. If the problem stops then you know it is caused by an app that you added.

I am a strong believer in doing a Factory Data Reset after every MAJOR system upgrade (like Jelly Bean to Kit Kat). If you have not done ONE since your last MAJOR system upgrade it is probably time. You should not need to do TWO under the same MAJOR release except for an exceptional situation.

... Thom

Upvote 0
It is VERY destructive.

It deletes all apps you added and all data including contacts.

It does not touch the SD-Ext card unless specifically told to clear it.

It is common practice to sync your contacts with Google and most apps are from Play Store. After the Factory Data Reset my contacts are reloaded and each app is downloaded again from Play Store.

It is VERY destructive.

The net result is that you have a device with apps that are approved for the version of the system you are running and all garbage is gone.

The down side is the time it takes to recreate what you had ... the first time you do one.

The up side is those things you just never got around to cleaning up ... you just don't reinstall them.

It gets easier.

It is VERY destructive.

... Thom

Upvote 0
Thanks Thom...got it..I figured it would wipe out everything. I did all the other steps, cleared the cache, so will see how the phone works for now. I think it is already working better. I do have most things on Google and important photos on Picasa. Probably could do it with minimal loss. I'll save that one for the last resort.

Upvote 0
I still don't understand the Safe mode part. Do I use the phone while in safe mode for a certain amount of time or just start in safe mode and then return to normal mode?

I have used safe mode on a computer to remove spyware, but I actually ran a spyware removal tool while in safe mode. Do I need such a tool to run on the phone or is there one built in?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones