• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid Turbo Issues

timm9

Feb 19, 2010
Sierras, CA
www.skibear.com
After the last OTA update my Turbo (and my wife’s) started having issues. I initially suspected it was one of three new apps that I had installed and have since removed them with no improvement.

The issues I’m experiencing are as follow;

1) When removing the device from its charger, you can’t ‘slide’ or otherwise get the home screen to display. It just goes to a blank black screen. When it goes into this mode there is nothing you can do other than set it down and wait. Sometimes when you swipe it will briefly show a new message but will not navigate to the home screen and then the screen goes black and will not wake up.

2) I have multiple alarms set (wake up, pick up grand kids from school, etc.) and ‘if’ the alarm actually goes off there is no way to silence or turn of the alarm. You either have to wait for the alarm to silence itself, or try and shut down the device. This morning my 5:00/am wake up never came.

3) I have also noticed that the ‘hands free’ is not functioning as it should with freezing and locked out.

4) Lastly, if I receive a notification of a new email or text, the device will not allow me to access the screen

I’m curious if anyone else is experiencing these issues, and has found a solution. Additionally, do you feel this warrants calling my provider as this device is less than a year old.

Thanks!

Two questions ...

Did you "wipe cache partition" that removes all temporary data and doesn't touch apps you installed, data they saved, or customizations you made? (I do this every Saturday.)

Did you try running in Safe Mode (disabling all apps you added without uninstalling them)? If the problem stops it is caused by an app that you added.

... Thom

Upvote 0
Two questions ...

Did you "wipe cache partition" that removes all temporary data and doesn't touch apps you installed, data they saved, or customizations you made? (I do this every Saturday.)

Did you try running in Safe Mode (disabling all apps you added without uninstalling them)? If the problem stops it is caused by an app that you added.

... Thom

Thom,

Thank you for your response.

I apologize for not including the fact that I do a system level cache wipe each week, and a reboot each morning. I have not tried safe mode which I will do and report back.

Upvote 0
1) When removing the device from its charger, you can’t ‘slide’ or otherwise get the home screen to display. It just goes to a blank black screen. When it goes into this mode there is nothing you can do other than set it down and wait. Sometimes when you swipe it will briefly show a new message but will not navigate to the home screen and then the screen goes black and will not wake up.

Forgive me for asking the obvious question, but what happens when you press the power button?

How about if you go into settings / security and screen lock and change your lock screen to a different method? I'm not sure what you are using, but maybe switch to a pin code, see if that works better, and then try switching back to what you use now.

Do you use Moto Display? I'd also think about disabling moto display if you do use it. See if the phone will then respond to the power button. If so, then try turning moto display back on.

My honest opinion - since this is happening with both phones - is that, if no other solution works, a factory data reset would likely make the phone work fine. I doubt that it's a hardware fault, but if the phone did continue that behavior after a data reset, then it likely is a hardware warranty issue.

Upvote 0
I should have been more detailed in my initial post.

When the device freezes attempting to use the power button has zero effect. I currently have no 'pass code' and only swipe to access. I will indeed follow your suggestion with a pass code. Additionally I do not use Moto Display. I will place the device into safe mode tonight and if that fails I will resort to an FDR which I'm not looking forward to...:-(

Lastly, a big Thank You to each and everyone that has responded. I greatly appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedules to assist! I hope to be able to return the favor some day.

Tim

Upvote 0
Which application was causing the issue?

I apologize. There is nothing worse than posting you resolved something and not posting details. I initially uninstalled the last two applications I had installed (intellicast radar, and HP wireless print) and immediately noticed an improvement. The next morning when the scheduled alarm went off I found I still had issues with screen access and silencing the alarm which others have commented on as well. I deactivated the OEM alarm and installed one from the store. The alarm change out has helped drastically, but still had issues but not as bad. The last thing I did which seems to have completely resolved all of our (Wife's Turbo as well) issues is deactivating the 'sleep mode' in the Moto Assist. The above statement is only partially correct as I could not find a way to completely deactivate the sleep mode. Once activated it appears that there is no way to deactivate. I ended up setting the sleep mode to start and 2:00/am and end 60 seconds later. If anyone knows how to properly deactivate sleep mode please let me know.

Upvote 0
Apparently I was premature in my 'all is well' statement. After a day or so both Turbo's starting acting up again. Did and FDR on the Wife's phone and all was well for about 36 hours so grudgingly FDR'd mine as well. After the FDR all was well for about 8 hours and now both phones are freezing and non responsive. System level cache clear does help for a period of time but not a fix. FWIW, we did not reload what we thought were the offending applications. Prior to the OTA update we had zero issues...

Upvote 0
UPDATE:

Well, after hours on the phone with Verizon Tech Support (tier 2) Verizon has finally admitted that the OTA in late January early February is the reason that our devices are freezing.

At first we were told that Motorola is well aware of the problem and working on the fix. After additional questions the story has changed somewhat and now the ‘fix’ will be included with Lollipop OS upgrade.

We were given the following options;

1) Verizon will send us ‘used’ Turbos which would only result in the used device that freezes just like our new ones…really?

2) Send our Turbos to Motorola and wait (without any replacement) for Motorola to ‘repair’ the devices.

3) The last option which they ‘recommend’ is to ‘live with’ our non-functional devices at $150.00 per month and just wait for Lollipop.

While the person we spoke to obviously does not get to make ‘policy’ and must regurgitate their BS excuses, I find Verizon and Google’s (who now owns Motorola) position to be completely unacceptable. To add insult to injury, Verizon and Google are currently shipping the newest OS (lollipop) on the new sales but have chosen to ignore their current Turbo ‘users’ issues that they created by their gross failure to properly test the update before pushing it out. While I recognize that we are all human and subject to mistakes, I find it incomprehensible that their position is that we should jut live with non-functional devices all the while paying them each month when ultimately they created this nightmare.

I intend to make one last attempt to find an acceptable resolution and then I’m filing a formal complaint with the PUC.

Upvote 0
Sorry that you are having issues with your droid turbo's. My wife and I do not have any of these issue's with our turbo's. Wish I could help, but we probably got the same update that you got. Maybe the issue's you're experiencing is something else.

Attachments

• 1428196165149.jpg
    1428196165149.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Upvote 0
While the person we spoke to obviously does not get to make ‘policy’ and must regurgitate their BS excuses, I find Verizon and Google’s (who now owns Motorola) ...

I can't comment on the rest of your post, but Google no longer owns Motorola. Motorola is owned by Lenovo - the sale closed a few months ago.

Also, the Droid brand is made by Motorola but on contract for Verizon. Unlike the Moto X, Moto G, or Moto E, they are not Motorola brands. Verizon completely controls the update schedule for the device, though Motorola would be responsible for any software bugs on the device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones