• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X has 4G capabilities? WTF!

Im assuming all the 4g phone require you to pay for 4g and not an option to keep the3g without the 4g connection?

we havent announced price structure or policy yet, but i can tell you that you will likely not be able to get a 4G phone, and not pay for a 4G data plan, just like with 3G (unless you're outside the 4G footprint).

Upvote 0
we havent announced price structure or policy yet, but i can tell you that you will likely not be able to get a 4G phone, and not pay for a 4G data plan, just like with 3G (unless you're outside the 4G footprint).

I've been using 8-14 gb a month, and my fiance uses .15 gb, will there be something less than $50 for light users? if it really is going to cost me $80 or more just for my data ill be heading back to sprint

Upvote 0
I've been using 8-14 gb a month, and my fiance uses .15 gb, will there be something less than $50 for light users? if it really is going to cost me $80 or more just for my data ill be heading back to sprint
\

there isnt at the moment. but, with .15GB/mo usage, i doubt she would even notice the difference. get her a MiFi and put her on the 3G $35/3GB plan. i doubt she would even notice a difference.

Upvote 0
I'm going to guess you'll see a lot of people heading over to Sprint to take advantage of their 'unlimited everything' plan. My buddy has an EVO (4G phone), and he pays $69 for his unlimited plan plus $10 bucks for his 4G phone (even though we don't have 4G around here). So $79 bucks for unlimited minutes, texts, data, everything (hence the name). I'm sorry, but that kicks the hell out of paying $80 bucks just for data.

That is what those prices reflect right, those are the data packages that are tacked on after your plan? I pay $120 right now (minus a 17% discount) for my plan, which includes a $40 dollar data plan. So if I have to go to an $80 dollar plan (I average between 7 -10 GB per month), then I'll be looking at $160. Uhhhh... forget that!

You know all the next 'IT' phones will be LTE enabled. So my next phone will see the end of my unlimited package. Within the next 2 years probably all their phones will be 4G. I mean, can you buy a phone these days that isn't 3G (I'm talking a phone worth having) capable? No.

And I say this coming from Sprint and HATING their service (about 4 years ago). But if what I've said is the case when it comes to getting my next phone, I'll just have to hold my breath and hope their service has improved, because I just can't justify spending twice as much on Verizon's (admittedly superior) service. It's been nice having signal everywhere I go, I may miss that. But IMO Verizon is pricing themselves out of the market with these new packages.

Sucks, but what are we to do?

Upvote 0
Wow, I don't think I've ever hit 1GB in a month EVER! I'm usually around the 500 MB point. That $50/5GB plan is double what I'm already paying for data, and I'm not even using much of that. Sometimes I'll stream music more to just use data I'm paying for than because i want to listen to music. I love the Verizon service, but I can't see it being worth paying so much more for how little data I actually use. I love that Sprint plan, but not such a fan of their service. Such a quandry.

Upvote 0
I'm going to guess you'll see a lot of people heading over to Sprint to take advantage of their 'unlimited everything' plan. My buddy has an EVO (4G phone), and he pays $69 for his unlimited plan plus $10 bucks for his 4G phone (even though we don't have 4G around here). So $79 bucks for unlimited minutes, texts, data, everything (hence the name). I'm sorry, but that kicks the hell out of paying $80 bucks just for data.

That is what those prices reflect right, those are the data packages that are tacked on after your plan? I pay $120 right now (minus a 17% discount) for my plan, which includes a $40 dollar data plan. So if I have to go to an $80 dollar plan (I average between 7 -10 GB per month), then I'll be looking at $160. Uhhhh... forget that!

You know all the next 'IT' phones will be LTE enabled. So my next phone will see the end of my unlimited package. Within the next 2 years probably all their phones will be 4G. I mean, can you buy a phone these days that isn't 3G (I'm talking a phone worth having) capable? No.

And I say this coming from Sprint and HATING their service (about 4 years ago). But if what I've said is the case when it comes to getting my next phone, I'll just have to hold my breath and hope their service has improved, because I just can't justify spending twice as much on Verizon's (admittedly superior) service. It's been nice having signal everywhere I go, I may miss that. But IMO Verizon is pricing themselves out of the market with these new packages.

Sucks, but what are we to do?
I left Sprint to go to Alltel 4 or 5 years ago because the coverage sucked, but I've heard it's gotten a lot better in the past couple years, atleast in my area. I think that if Verizon does go through with these prices it won't last long before they change them when they see everyone jumping ship.

Upvote 0
Sounds like we both jumped ship around the same time then. I paid more when I came to Verizon, but not THAT much more. I went from like an $85 dollar bill to $120 (but then got a discount from my job that made it more competitive, but who knows how long that will last?). And I was completely willing to pay the difference for what was back then anyways, entirely better service, signal, everything. They've always been the premium provider in that area (that was Indiana, before I moved), and I used to get sick of people with Verizon boasting about how they got signal everywhere they went when I was with AT&T (actually they were Cingular back then) and Sprint. I felt like they were acting as elitists, "oh you and your poor phone can't get service? Well maybe if you could afford Verizon like me you would have a signal"... you know, that kind of thing.

But when I couldn't get a signal on any of the 3 phones I tried in about a months time anywhere in my home without going out onto the porch to talk/send a text... while watching my Verizon based roommate chat away in my basement of all places... well I finally realized if I couldn't beat em, I might as well join em!

So join em I did, and I finally knew what they were all talking about. It's not really being an elitist when you see someone struggling to get a signal on their phone, and you're standing right next to them and you look down at your device and it's showing 3 or 4 bars. I've found myself saying the same thing people used to say to me, and I try to say it in as uncondesending manner as I possibly can... "I used to have those same problems until I switched to Verizon, they really do have the best coverage you know... you can use my phone if you want". And then I see them look at me with the same eyes I used to look at those people who would tell me the exact same thing and realize no matter how you try to put it, it still comes off sounding like "I'm better than you", even when you don't feel that way, nor want them to think you feel that way.

So leaving will be a scary thing. My EVO friend seems to get signal well enough everywhere we go. Haven't heard any gripes from him. Maybe they've shored things up since I left? That would be nice. What would really stick in my crawl would be if I switched, and then they decided to do away with the 'Everything' plan and price similar to the competition. But I recently read an article in the news section of Phandroid a discussion on this very topic. And the fact that in their opinion (who can be certain after all?) Sprint will most likely stick with the plan as it is a draw to their company, and they aren't a company that likes to make major changes like that. So it sounds anyway as if it will be an option when the 4G plans are stuffed down our throats around here and we feel the need to retaliate.

The only thing that makes me nervous is the fact that just two or three months ago there was a lot of speculation that Verizon wasn't going to follow AT&T into tiered data plans either... and we lost that battle.

I sure would hate to see the day when we all HAVE to pay $150+ just to have a wicked good smartphone. Of course there will always be the T-Mobile's and Cincinatti Bells out there looking to steal your business away from the major providers with super sweet packages. Trouble is they usually are a ways behind the big boys when it comes to their toys. But it still beats having a car payment for a cell phone bill!

Upvote 0
Sadly it really doesn't matter whether you have coverage or not, it's if your device is 4G capable or not. Like my EVO friend, there was no 4G coverage in his area, but he paid the premium because his EVO is 4G capable.

The next crop of phones to arrive will probably see some with LTE capabilities, and some without. By summer I'd say around 2/3rds of the premier phones that will be released will be 4G capable. And if you wait it out all the way until 2 summers from now to update, then I'd say it's pretty much a guarantee that any smartphone that will be available at that time will be LTE capable.

By then they may have rolled out 4G to everywhere. But even if you're still sitting in a dead spot for 4G coverage, that won't matter when it comes to your bill. All that will matter is what phone you have.

Upvote 0
I happen to be one of those dumb stupid agents to which you refer. And I dare say all the agents I know are far more knowledgeable than anyone working in a corporate store. There are good and bad of both. But making blanket statements isn't very nice ;)

You probably missed the part "AN ANGENT" I never said all agents...but if you could not read that part...then should I say All agents can't read too? lol

I do Tech Support for a wireless company not going to say which one and believe me the dumbs are always agents as they walk into the store with no background in wireless industry and they start selling phones. Forgot to say the training is for 1 day too.

Upvote 0
I know what you said, and what you implied. And as I've said before, blanket statements are not fair as I know plenty of people working for corporate Verizon with absolutely no wireless experience. Not all companies that serve as indirect agents of Verizon Wireless just stick people with no experience out there on day one to sell phones. I actually had to fly (on my companies dime) to a training facility for a week to learn initial wireless, point of sale, rate plans, etc...(everything Verizon Wireless teaches its trainees) How would I know what Verizon trains its employees on? Because when I worked for corporate Verizon as a technician I went thru the exact same class. And honestly the way corporate VZW pays its sales staff is ridiculous. All I can say is I do much better than they do.

Upvote 0
Sadly it really doesn't matter whether you have coverage or not, it's if your device is 4G capable or not. Like my EVO friend, there was no 4G coverage in his area, but he paid the premium because his EVO is 4G capable.

The next crop of phones to arrive will probably see some with LTE capabilities, and some without. By summer I'd say around 2/3rds of the premier phones that will be released will be 4G capable. And if you wait it out all the way until 2 summers from now to update, then I'd say it's pretty much a guarantee that any smartphone that will be available at that time will be LTE capable.

By then they may have rolled out 4G to everywhere. But even if you're still sitting in a dead spot for 4G coverage, that won't matter when it comes to your bill. All that will matter is what phone you have.

Indeed. You know what I wish VZ would offer (and sprint for that matter). 4G home router. LTE specs show for the possibility of 1gb/s down assuming a stationary position from the tower (and more than 1/2 signal or something like that). Granted theory never works IRL but even if it could carry a sustained 50mb/s it would trump cable and DSL in my area.

We can't get Uverse or Xfinity of FIOS in my area.

(yes I am hijacking the thread completely, suck it trebeck)

Upvote 0

Ummm, yeah about that... as soon as I read that I actually had to scroll up to see what the name of this thread was to try and remember what the original topic had been.

I fear that subject has long been dead around here... so you're good!

Upvote 0
I know what you said, and what you implied. And as I've said before, blanket statements are not fair as I know plenty of people working for corporate Verizon with absolutely no wireless experience. Not all companies that serve as indirect agents of Verizon Wireless just stick people with no experience out there on day one to sell phones. I actually had to fly (on my companies dime) to a training facility for a week to learn initial wireless, point of sale, rate plans, etc...(everything Verizon Wireless teaches its trainees) How would I know what Verizon trains its employees on? Because when I worked for corporate Verizon as a technician I went thru the exact same class. And honestly the way corporate VZW pays its sales staff is ridiculous. All I can say is I do much better than they do.

Direct Verizon retail sales reps are the highest paid in the industry. They start at $42,700/year (more if they beat quota, which most do), with the average rep making $55,000/yr when commissions are factored in. The good reps (top 15%) make $60-$70K/year. no offense, but i highly doubt you do much better than that. on average, Direct sales reps make $15K/yr. more than their indirect counterparts.
you may work for a good indirect, but vzw pays its employees rather well. not only that, but their benefits are among the best in the country (especially for a company that has 70,000+ employees).

A retail employee who sells phones making $55K a year is hardly something to scoff at.

and, verizon didnt sent flex employees to the same training RSRs and CSRs go thru. the training for RSRs and CSRs is 3 weeks of classroom training (used to be 4).

Upvote 0
Indeed. You know what I wish VZ would offer (and sprint for that matter). 4G home router. LTE specs show for the possibility of 1gb/s down assuming a stationary position from the tower (and more than 1/2 signal or something like that). Granted theory never works IRL but even if it could carry a sustained 50mb/s it would trump cable and DSL in my area.

dont hold your breath. verizon wireless has specifically stated they do not want to replace home internet (which is why they dont offer an unlimited plan)

Upvote 0
you shoulda waited. the OTA 2.3.340 created a sim card slot upon install.

if you type ##7764186, press send, then change every text box to read "DX4G" you will be running on the LTE network.

Shoot! I knew I should have waited. Actually when I got home from the shop the UPS guy had delivered my sim card slot and some crazy glue!

Upvote 0
Ma Bell companies have always been a huge moneymaker. Data plans moving forward is no different then 10 cents a minute 5 years ago, or 50 cents a minute 10 years ago $1 15 years ago. Whats the profit margin on text messaging, 100%?? It's just how it works. Hopefully the smaller competition keeps driving the prices down from the big boys. I think broadband and telco companes broadband prices in general have become a lot more affordable. The Verizon types are trying to capitalize why they can, I don't think it can last. Its a broadband world and it has basically taken over as the #1 medium for how people get their information/entertainment. They are still trying to figure out how to regulate it. My 2 cents.

Upvote 0
I think everyone should stay with 3G. Below is what happens with 4G:

"From a medical standpoint, at 4G's, you will start to lose color vision, which is why it is called "graying out"; 4.5 G's and you may lose vision all together. Higher G's and your lungs start to collapse, your esophagus stretches, your stomach drops and blood pools significantly in your legs."

I pulled 8.5G's in an F-16 during my incentive ride back in 1989. LOL

Upvote 0

Sprint does have a 4g hotspot for $50 a month that is unlimited. It's not a router but you an move it aroung to find the best reception.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones