• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

droid x mmmazing video quality

Realtime for recording isn't near as important as realtime recording. How many other smartphone record at 720p?

None.

Yeah, I understand that its a great feature. My question is whether the video is supposed to look like its recording in slow motion when I start the 720p recording on the phone. Is the lag supposed to be normal or not? I was just worried whether my phone is a defect or not...

Upvote 0
Its normal.. you see it on digital camcorders as well. The processors can't process 720p video display AND 720p recording at the same time, without dropping frame rates while recording. FAR better to drop framerates on preview.

The $700 digital camcorders can, but then yer spending twice the price just for a preview display feature.

Reactions: js1083
Upvote 0
$700 camcorders? Not really.

My $150 Kodak Zi8 pocket cam records 1080P with no "screen lag" and its 720P quality absolutely blows the video from this phone out of the water. Not to mention you can hook a stereo mic to it.

Cameras and video on phones is great in a pinch, but like always, jack of all trades, master of none.

Upvote 0
I hadn't seen a cheaper camcorder that had a good lag free display, but then I haven't looked at them for a year or so.

The phone however is doing a lot more in the background then the camcorder is.. its ONLY function is recording.

I wouldn't consider the DX camcorder a replacement at all for a full function camcorder, since it has no optical zoom at all, and even the digital zoom is disabled in the camcorder app.

But the video quality on it is pretty dang fantastic for a smartphone.

Upvote 0
Its normal.. you see it on digital camcorders as well. The processors can't process 720p video display AND 720p recording at the same time, without dropping frame rates while recording. FAR better to drop framerates on preview.

The $700 digital camcorders can, but then yer spending twice the price just for a preview display feature.

Ok, thanks alot!...this is my first time using a camera that had the 720p recording feature, so I wasn't aware of the lags...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones