• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Droid X owners looking to buy extended battery but already bought car dock.

benjiedude

Android Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2010
I didn't really think about this when i bought it but the extra 1mm of thickness won't fit in the $39.99 car dock. Might have to return all my accessories except the screen protectors, LOL. Without there being any extended batteries out there yet I have n o way to know how it would work if at all. Probably why Verizon decided not to sell it right away...ring up all those dock, case and charging station sales. :eek:

I'm not necessarily sure that this will be an issue. Wasn't one of the features advertised for the extended battery, the fact that it only added a mm or two to the size of the standard battery?

The charging dock will definitely be an issue as it is a tight fit even with the phone being naked.

Are you sure it won't fit? I got the car dock and there is a plastic piece you can take out that is supposed to allow it to fit the phone with a case so there is room for a little extra thickness

The car dock might work with the extended battery with the plastic piece removed. I tried to get my leather kickstand case in there today with no success so it all depends on just how fat that extended battery is gonna be.

Upvote 0
The charging dock will definitely be an issue as it is a tight fit even with the phone being naked.

The car dock might work with the extended battery with the plastic piece removed. I tried to get my leather kickstand case in there today with no success so it all depends on just how fat that extended battery is gonna be.

I hope it fits because I definitely want an extended battery however the car dock is an awesome accessory so plan B would be to have an extra battery on hand if the extended doesn't fit

Upvote 0
FWIW, I have the cardock too and was thinking the same thing. I read that the extended battery from Motorola has come out. The cardock from Motorola actually has a removable insert for cases and such. I'm not sure if an extended battery will fit, but that's just a thought. I didn't notice it until I was playing with the cardock. All you have to do is "click" the little lever and the insert slides out.

:D

Upvote 0
i don't have the extended battery or the car dock, but i would think it should still fit, unless the car dock is molded to fit the phone exactly? There is a lip on the phone with additional thickness by the camera...the extended battery doesn't extend out that far, so unless they exactly molded the car dock around the camera lip, it probably will fit

Upvote 0
i don't have the extended battery or the car dock, but i would think it should still fit, unless the car dock is molded to fit the phone exactly? There is a lip on the phone with additional thickness by the camera...the extended battery doesn't extend out that far, so unless they exactly molded the car dock around the camera lip, it probably will fit

the fit is super tight. i put a ZAGG invisibleshield on my droid x and i had to remove a small part near the camera because the fit was too tight. once you remove the insert though, it is definitely more roomy... :)

Upvote 0
There's always after market mounts that accommodate cases, and if I'm not mistaken, the official dock uses the same connection as the Arkon Mega Grip. So if you really wanted to keep your case on or use an extended battery, you could swap out the official dock "head" part with a $10 Mega Grip holder and voila, you're mount now works with a case and / or extended battery.

You'd have to use a car charger, but if you bought the official dock, it comes with one. That way you don't lose out on your entire $40 investment (you're still using the suction base and car charger). You can always put the dock head back on if you wanted to later.

Also, you could put a magnet on to engage the Car Home app: http://androidforums.com/accessories-droid-x/145014-arkon-mega-grip-magnet-placement.html

Here's the holder showing the connection to the base:
YouTube - Motorola Droid X Mount | Arkon Mega Grip Car Mounts and Holder for Droid X
Just another option you guys might want to try out.

Reactions: Mamba24
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones