• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X portability?

I'll give you this comparison to think about: If I compare my DX to the palm of my hand, it is about 2/3 as long as my hand. It is about 3/4 as wide as my hand. If I compare the thickest part of the phone with the thickest part of my palm, it is about 1/3 as thick. Bottom line: If your hands fit comfortably in your pockets, so will your DX. The only time I even notice it in my pocket is when it turns sideways. After carrying this phone for 2 months, I have absolutely no doubts that I could carry a Dell Streak sized phone.

Upvote 0
I came from an iPhone to the Droid X, I would say that there is not as much of a size difference. it is a bit taller, but the difference is hardly noticeable.

Compare the Droid X to big red's other offerings and it isn't big at all...the droid 2 is thicker (keyboard) and the galaxy s phone is about the same size.

get the phone you will not be disappointed, however I will say that I stopped using my case because it made the device feel a lot bulkier.

Upvote 0
:D:DI carry a man purse holds my Phone my Sig226 my Nikon 200 and ect...

bag+loaded.jpg

Here is a way cool one!!!

Carteach0: Maxpedition carry bag: Man Purse, Baby!

Upvote 0
So here is my concern...

I've initially been back and forth on my Droid X opinion. I hear how great of a phone it is, and read about how fast and powerful it is, but one thing makes me nervous. The thing is huge. I know it isn't like Evo huge, but its big.

I've always been a slide my cell in my jeans pocket kinda guy, and while my next phone will be my first smartphone, I'd still like to be that kinda guy. Now I know many people have said, and probably will respond to this message saying it again, that the Droid X fits in their pockets, but how comfortably does it fit? I can't imagine sliding the Droid X in my pocket would fit well. I mean, I know its thin, but the thing is wide, and that is my concern.

Gonna have to give up the skinny jeans, lol

Upvote 0
I feel like I must be odd...
I wear skinny jeans. I carry it in my pocket. I forget it's there. People don't really understand how this situation works. It's not about Jean size, its POCKET size. Skinny jeans can have big pockets too so it's not a problem. If your pocket is more than 4.3" deep than don't worry about it. Just go try it out!
And I put a dummy phone in my pocket too.

Upvote 0
What I did was buy a 4 wheeled little cart that I push my DX around in. People stop me and say, "Hey, what ya got in that cart?" Then I show them my DX. "Oh, yeah, that is one big mutha".

I used to carry it in a briefcase, but my hand got so tired from the sheer weight of this pig mother. Went to a shoulder bag for it, but then I developed major shoulder issues and had to have 3 surgeries. So, the shopping cart works best for me.

If you are still worried, you can pick up one of those dainty little Hanna Montana phones, I hear they are like totally awesome.

Upvote 0
How do people typically carry it if they wear jeans? The job I currently have allows you to wear jeans a nice portion of the time, and while I don't wear skinny jeans either, I'm thinking a Droid X in my pocket would be snug.

I carry my phone in the summer in my front jeans pocket. IMO, the size of the X is a little too much for that method some/much of the time. Jean pocket sizes vary too. Try it out in store.

Upvote 0
I always carry it in the front pocket. It was a problem with the soft rubber case because it would stick. Now that it goes naked, it's great in the pocket. I think the thickness makes the greatest difference in pocketability. It doesn't protrude even as much as my wallet (and I don't carry any hundred dollar bills - in fact I rarely carry more than 1/2 dozen bills of any kind).

Upvote 0
With no case, I put my X in my front pants pocket as well and I wear jeans (not tight) most every day.

The phone is thin enough where it really doesn't bother me at all.

I've also noticed that those that are quick to exclaim how HUGE this phone is (and to continue to exaggerate its proportions) are doing it out of jealousy...of course they don't want anyone to have this monstrosity of a phone...at least not until they get one themselves!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones