• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root droid x stuck at M screen

scotty85

Extreme Android User
Jul 25, 2010
i came across a droid x super cheap on a local craiglist. the seller claims it sticks on the M startup screen and wont boot into recovery. is there any hope for it? maybe put a PBxxIMG file on the sd card?

my apologies for not searching,im on my way out the door and i dont want to miss this deal if theres a possibility of recovering it.

thanks for any info :)

i came across a droid x super cheap on a local craiglist. the seller claims it sticks on the M startup screen and wont boot into recovery. is there any hope for it? maybe put a PBxxIMG file on the sd card?

my apologies for not searching,im on my way out the door and i dont want to miss this deal if theres a possibility of recovering it.

thanks for any info :)

Simple just put it into bootloader mode and flash the sbf

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
It's virtually impossible that it won't go into the bootloader. The bootloader is a protected partition and you REALLY have to hose something up to cause problems.

Tell him to pull the battery, leave it out for 10 seconds, put it in, then hold camera & vol down & power.

It's more likely one of the buttons is broken than it is that the bootloader is corrupted.

Upvote 0
The battery may be dead. This happened to me and i knew my phone was jacked. I took the battery to vzw and they put it in a phone and charged it for me. I took it home. Got it into bootloader, sbf and boom im back in business.

hmm. shouldnt it power on after being plugged in to a charger for awhile? or will the phone actually not charge if its not in working condition? that posibility hadnt ocurred to me :eek:

mebbe ill give it a shot after all,if thats the case!

Upvote 0
hmm. shouldnt it power on after being plugged in to a charger for awhile? or will the phone actually not charge if its not in working condition? that posibility hadnt ocurred to me :eek:

it wont charge if its not working ,,,i hate to give high hopes but i am 99% sure its recoverable ,,,it really has to be a huge mistake to fully brick an x

Upvote 0

The phone won't charge if the guy hosed up the software on it. Which it sounds like he did.

You need to either use the USB cable hack that's been documented a few times on this board, or get the battery into another X to charge.

Upvote 0
well,i picked it up,downloaded rsdlite,and attempted the cable hack,but it wouldnt turn on. the cable i used to hack was a really poor quality extension cable that when i pulgged it in with my phone charger charged the phone veeeeery slooooowly,so maybe theres something about that cable.

if i pull the battery,put it back in,then plug in the charger i get a green light for about half a second. :eek: leaving the phone plugged in, or if i unplug and replug with no battery pull,no lights.

should the charge light be stayin on? ill take the battery to verizon and have them stick it in a phone and see what happens. hopefully they find it to be dead and charge it for me :D

Upvote 0
another update... after reading something in another thread i went ahead and plugged it into my puter. to my surprise the green light stayed on,and the puter installed the drivers :eek:

rsd lite showed connected,so i fired it up... id did a bunch of stuff... then said rebooting phone... the phone dint reboot,and rsdlite quickly did something else,then said "finished" and the result it "pass".

the phone still wouldnt power on,so i left it there for about 25 minutes while i got ready for work. still no power on :( i plugged it into a regular charger and no green light? if im undersrtanding this all correctly,RSD lite looks to have worked,installed latest firmware,so now the battery should charge.

plugged it back in to the puter,ran rsd lite again with same results. pushing the power button(its the one on top,right?) seems to turn the phone off,as it disapears from the rsd lite tool. push again it shows up again... green light still on.

any ideas? do i maybe just need a new battery at this point? im going to try and stop by a store today and have them check this one.

thanks again :)

Upvote 0
well,guys,looks like the X is dead :(

i finally got around to taking it to a store. the battery was in fact dead,but putting a new battery into it had no affect. still would not power on.

any other ideas?anything i could check inside of it that would prohibit it from powering on or getting power from a good battery? i got nothing to lose by taking it apart at this point ;) otherwise i guess ill put it on ebay for parts. its screen,case,or whatever can help resurect someone elses dead X

thanks again ffor all your hep... it is much appreciated :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones