• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X vs Droid X2 screen. Is my X2 defective?

I got my Droid X warranty replacement with a Droid X2. So far I like it a lot as it's faster, but I have noticed the screen is a lot less detailed. The colors are darker and brighter, but the screen is pixelated and it looks washed out like an oil painting. When I was looking through the pictures it looked really unnatural like I used a program to alter all the pictures. When I was looking through the pictures on the Droid X, they look natural and normal. Is the screen on my Droid X2 defective?

**EDIT: After some research I discovered that the Droid X2 has a new type of screen and what I am describing is normal. Now the hard decision is whether to keep the X2 or call Verizon and ask them to send me X replacement.

I believe that Moto has downgraded the quality of the pentile screens they are now using on the dX2 and bionic. I have an early release DX2 and it is far brighter with better colors than any DX I ever had (I had five differeent DX's). I could barely see the pentile graininess if l looked VERY closely. I really couldn't understand all the complaining as my screen is an obvious upgrade over the DX. However, after now comparing my screen to several Bionics and other DX2's, mine is very visibly brighter and less washed out. The only explanation is that Moto is using a lower quality screen from what they put in my phone, which was an early release DX2. The DX2's and Bionics I looked at today also had a much worse "screen door" effect that mine really doesn't have. I had been considering "uprgrading" to a Bionic since I have had an available upgrade since February, but I could not bring myself to downgrade in screen quality. My DX2 is really working very well overall anyway, so I am pretty happy.

As a footnote, of course I tested all units with identical screen settings/brightness and on different screens/webpages, etc so it isn't a case of different settings, pages viewed, and definitely not my imagination. My biggest gripe would be WHY would Moto use a WORSE screen in a flagship phone like the Bionic or in later released versions of the DX2? I suppose the masses don't really notice for the most part, but I and many of us on forums like this will notice.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones