• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

drop test

Drogyn

Android Enthusiast
Jul 30, 2012
Just watched the drop test for this phone that is posted on the front page of the site. I have but one question.....

Why in the world is the back of this phone glass?
Am I the only person wondering this? Sure it looks kinds nice but adds another face prone to scratches and cracks. Makes no sense to me.

Yeah i always wondered why they did this too, considering people were so upset about the iPhone 4 having front and back glass, that is why they got rid of it in the iPhone 5...

It just makes the device a lot easier to get cracked and scratched like you said, it does make it look nice and sleek but overall i would feel very scared to drop it at all, or even put it in my pocket without a case/screen protector.

Upvote 0
The glass makes it look and feel like the premium device it is made out to be. Of course, the same result could have been achieved with a unibody aluminum design like HTC does. Having owned an iPhone 4, however, I can say that I'm a fan of the glass design, but obviously problems arise from drops. I'll have a case, for whatever that's worth.

Upvote 0
I thought guerrilla glass 2 was supposed to be very durable...?

DOn't quote me in this, but I remember reading on a few websites that the front glass on the phone is the only one made of Gorilla glass 2. The glass on the back is just regular glass so that is why it breaks so easily.

You also have to take into consideration that when the phone is dropped all of the weight of the phone is placed on the glass, so when it hits, it breaks!

But that is just my thinking, I could be wrong though.

Upvote 0
Ya that's weird. I was expecting guerrilla glass to be more durable. I saw an iPhone 5 and GS3 drop test and the iPhone 5 did much better. The GS3 cracked pretty bad after the second drop and just got worse from there.

Anybody know what kind of glass the iPhone 5 uses? Or could it just be that the aluminum surrounding it helps keep from the glass taking too much of the impact?

Upvote 0
I read from more than one place that both the front and rear panels were Corning Gorilla Glass 2

I'm not really sure where the confusion comes from. LG itself does not call the glass on the back of the phone Gorilla Glass or even glass for that matter. In Android Central's review of the phone Phil says that LG refuses to call the back glass. He also said that he saw a few scratches on the back while he was doing the review. I've had a Zune that has Gorilla Glass [One] for nearly two years and there's only one really small scratch on the front.

Upvote 0
Well last night I plugged my phone in to charge and set in on a smooth piece of plastic on a windowsill. It was an uneven surface and about 3 minutes later I heard the phone fall to the ground. It must have been ever so slowly slipping. It was only about a 2ft. drop on to hardwood floors so no damage at all but you've got to be careful until you get a case. That glass on the back is slippery!

Upvote 0
I'm not really sure where the confusion comes from. LG itself does not call the glass on the back of the phone Gorilla Glass or even glass for that matter. In Android Central's review of the phone Phil says that LG refuses to call the back glass. He also said that he saw a few scratches on the back while he was doing the review. I've had a Zune that has Gorilla Glass [One] for nearly two years and there's only one really small scratch on the front.

I read from more than one place that both the front and rear panels were Corning Gorilla Glass 2

from what i have seen, both of you seem to be correct.

so i'm not sure whether it really is gorilla glass on both sides or not. but either some people are misleading the public with false information, or, LG refuses to call gorilla glass glass, since it is some sort of alloy of plastic and glass, or something, and they won't call it glass because technically it is different enough from glass, so that they can legitimately say that, and also, for sales numbers they would prefer that the public not believe it is glass, because they might fear it breaking or whatever, so they just refuse to call it glass so that it sounds better.

whereas the company that makes gorilla glass, does call it glass, but it is definitely not just glass, even though it might have glass in it.

from waht i've heard the phone is deceptively light as well, so i don't see how much the back could be glass. glass is heavy as shit.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones