• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help DSL sharing?

apple2005

Android Enthusiast
May 22, 2011
I don't know whether this is the correct place to ask this question.
I shared my DSL connection with the neighbor through wired connection with the condition that he will use it solely for himself. But I am afraid that he might have placed a further router and several people might be using the connection. Is there any way to know how many people are using my connection? Thanks.

I don't know whether this is the correct place to ask this question.
I shared my DSL connection with the neighbor through wired connection with the condition that he will use it solely for himself. But I am afraid that he might have placed a further router and several people might be using the connection. Is there any way to know how many people are using my connection? Thanks.

Have you run an ethernet cable from one house to another? Do you think he might be sharing with people in his place or with other neighbours? If it's the latter, it will either be a WiFi network, or a load of ethernet cables running to other houses.

You can install a network scanner, that should indicate exactly what is connected to the network.
https://www.softperfect.com/products/networkscanner/

Upvote 0
Have you run an ethernet cable from one house to another? Do you think he might be sharing with people in his place or with other neighbours? If it's the latter, it will either be a WiFi network, or a load of ethernet cables running to other houses.

You can install a network scanner, that should indicate exactly what is connected to the network.
https://www.softperfect.com/products/networkscanner/

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have given connection via ethernet cable. I don't see any cables going from that house but I am afraid that he might have put another router at that end to be used by many people. There are several single people living there....
I will try your application. Is it to be installed in computer? Or mobile (apk)?

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have given connection via ethernet cable. I don't see any cables going from that house but I am afraid that he might have put another router at that end to be used by many people. There are several single people living there....
I will try your application. Is it to be installed in computer? Or mobile (apk)?

That one I linked to is for Windows, as we're on the PC forum.

There are a few Android ones as well, this is one I've got that's just called "Network Scanner" you'll find it on Play.

This is my network, and it shows everything that's connected via WiFi and ethernet.
networkscan.jpg

If your neighbour has a router plugged-in, it might show as Netgear, Linksys, Cisco, TP-Link, etc. depending on the make of the router

Upvote 0
That one I linked to is for Windows, as we're on the PC forum.

There are a few Android ones as well, this is one I've got that's just called "Network Scanner" you'll find it on Play.

This is my network, and it shows everything that's connected via WiFi and ethernet.
View attachment 79896

If your neighbour has a router plugged-in, it might show as Netgear, Linksys, Cisco, TP-Link, etc. depending on the make of the router

Mike, thank you for bringing this app to my attention. Having been called upon to do small home network consulting for friends and family in the past, combining the signal strength checking of Wi-Fi Analyser and something like this that presents IP address allocation will be indispensible for future consults. :D

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones