• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help dual localise my dual SIM Android

mutie

Jul 9, 2011
I have a OnePlus Nord running Android 12 (OxygenOS). It is not rooted. As I travel between the UK and Japan a lot, I have a UK and a JP SIM in it.

I want to install both UK and JP specific apps, but am currently only localised in the UK. Further, I understand that I can only change my localisation once every six months.

Ideally, I'd like to dual localise, to have the full suite of UK and JP apps available. Is this possible?

If not, would either of these work:
  1. side load apps to avoid the localisation barriers in the Play Store;
  2. maintain two separate profiles, one localised to each?
  3. does rooting help? I don't think I'm running any apps that would break if I did.
Thanks!

I have a OnePlus Nord running Android 12 (OxygenOS). It is not rooted. As I travel between the UK and Japan a lot, I have a UK and a JP SIM in it.

I want to install both UK and JP specific apps, but am currently only localised in the UK. Further, I understand that I can only change my localisation once every six months.

Ideally, I'd like to dual localise, to have the full suite of UK and JP apps available. Is this possible?

If not, would either of these work:
  1. side load apps to avoid the localisation barriers in the Play Store;
  2. maintain two separate profiles, one localised to each?
  3. does rooting help? I don't think I'm running any apps that would break if I did.
Thanks!

I'm kind of dual location as well, usually China, but I sometimes go to UK. Based on experience I'd say number 1 is your best and probably easiest option. For 2, I don't think you can keep two Google accounts/profiles on one Android device. Not without completely resetting it each time. And as for 3, rooting. That will break any apps that come under Google SafetyNet. Which is definitely any financial apps, and/or ones that require a secure device for payments, identification, e-tickets, medical information, etc. And I'm sure rooting won't help for this usage anyway.

I believe it is correct, you can only change your Google Services and Play localisation twice a year.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Based on experience I'd say number 1 is your best and probably easiest option ... I believe it is correct, you can only change your Google Services and Play localisation twice a year.

Thanks Mike! I'll try sideloading.

I'm a bit amazed by this: what's the reasoning behind making it hard for international travellers to get region-specific apps?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones