• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Duplicate ringtones/notifications

markathome

Jan 7, 2010
I've got duplicate ringtones in the phone and notifications menu settings. These ringtones were acquired from marketplace apps and saved. For instance, I have two 'Hello sir C3PO', three 'Incoming transmission', two 'Resistance is futile', and five 'You belong with me'. That's what I get for letting the kids play.
Anyway, I have removed the apps, but, I cannot find the files to remove the duplicates from the menu list. I've checked the /system/media/audio files and checked the SD card and cannot find them.
Ideas?

Thanks!

As I said...think they will be on your phone memory. Just a thought though, could try reinstalling the App again then look on your SD card and see if they show up within the folder the App may have otherwise think it will have to be a reset.
I suggest that you create a folder specifically for ringtones, notifications, alarms etc by doing this below then you can add and delete to your hearts content:
In the SD card root, create /media/audio and add /alarms, /notifications, /ringtones and /ui to /audio. Files placed in these folders show up in the appropriate selection menus (and are ignored by Music).

Upvote 0
I did some minor searching using the terminal emulator through the /system/media/audio folder and it seems that we don't have two files of these ringtones/notifications. I believe it's an XML file that has two entries. I will try to find this XML file when I get home and see if I can edit and post it here for everyone. It is annoying to have two listings for the same thing.

Upvote 0
Guys!

I've just read a thread the other day, becasue I was facing the same issue. Android shows all audio which is in a folder called Ringtones no matter where it is placed on your SD Card.

For example you can have your audio files in media/ringtones and backup_folder/media/ringtones or whatever_folder/ringtones. In my case I had an extracted image on my SD, and it hooked all the audio files from the normal media folder and from that particular extracted images's folder as well.

Think about if you have a folder copy with your manual backup, an extracted image or something like this...

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
dRm

here's the original thread: http://androidforums.com/droid-all-things-root/171359-sound-files-showing-twice.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones