• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dust under screen

I think its the headphone socket is the likeliest cause,some have said volume rocker ,does not seem as likely to me .The headphone socket faces up and is usually outside of case,when you look into socket you can see the light from screen ,if light can get out so can dust ,water etc.
I have just ordered a plug from ebay for mine as mentioned earlier,as i rarely have phones plugged into it.

Upvote 0
Reactions: SiR-JaZZ
Upvote 0
Thanks Ukzen. Just ordered one now
icon12.gif

Upvote 0
I also seem to be suffering from dust under the screen. To make matters worse, I only got my Desire today!

It's only noticeable when the phone is switched off or the screen has gone to sleep. It seems people all have dust in identical spots on the screen. My tiny speck of dust is white, just left of centre and slightly above centre.

It's not a huge deal, but this is the sort of thing which really bugs me.

Have people had the problem rectified?

Upvote 0
You are lucky you only have a tiny spec - I've got quite a bit on the left hand side near the volume rocker - I can only see it though if I'm outside and the light is shining directly on it

Sorry to hear that, mate. Have you contacted your network or even HTC? If so, what was said?

I'm torn at the moment. I'm not sure if I should keep the phone or get a replacement? I obviously don't want to get a replacement if it's going to be ten times worse than it is currently. However, I like the handset in general, it's just this problem which is annoying.

I'm also reluctant to customise my phone too much incase I have to send it away and I'll lose all the customisation I have done so far! :D

Upvote 0
I have never had dust under any of my previous mobile phone's screens.
But I have something under my Desire's screen, it looks like a very very small piece of white paper, it is slightly off center in the middle of the screen.

It is extremely frustrating as it can been seen when anything is being displayed on the screen.

I have no idea how to get it out though =(

same here

Upvote 0
Ok, i had enough today and took it back to the store so they are sending it back to HTC under warrenty to be fixed! which says to me HTC acknowledge the problem...

as mentioned before: the retailer has offered to send it off to HTC to clean it under warranty but I just don't want to be without the phone for 2 weeks

Seems I wont really have a choice though :mad:

Upvote 0
Q
I'm was due to be getting my desire in the next couple of weeks but this may put me off if it's something that is happening regularly.

I'm coming from an n96 and that has a terrible issue with dust and dirt getting under the screen. Luckilly you can remove the screen cover and clean it but I am pretty sure it will not be that easy with the desire.

Can people post back if they are having this issue?

Fingers crossed its not that bad as I want this baby! I've completely hacked my n96 and am looking forward to getting to know Android :D

Anyways first time post and looking forward to being an active member of this great forum!

Nice to see a familiar face (so to speak). I had to clean my n96 weekly but have had no problems with my desire. So long planet 96.

Upvote 0
I also seem to be suffering from dust under the screen. To make matters worse, I only got my Desire today!

It's only noticeable when the phone is switched off or the screen has gone to sleep. It seems people all have dust in identical spots on the screen. My tiny speck of dust is white, just left of centre and slightly above centre.

It's not a huge deal, but this is the sort of thing which really bugs me.

Have people had the problem rectified?

Sorry to hear that, mate. Have you contacted your network or even HTC? If so, what was said?

I'm torn at the moment. I'm not sure if I should keep the phone or get a replacement? I obviously don't want to get a replacement if it's going to be ten times worse than it is currently. However, I like the handset in general, it's just this problem which is annoying.

I'm also reluctant to customise my phone too much incase I have to send it away and I'll lose all the customisation I have done so far! :D

Just an update on my situation for anybody who may be interested.

I called T-Mobile earlier this evening and told them of my problem. They arranged a full kit doorstep exchange for Monday.

The person I spoke to seemed to think the dust must have got under the screen during manufacture.

Hopefully the replacement is dust free!

Upvote 0
I got some under screen. I think it probably got in there during manufacturing process... tbh it can only be seen if u look for it. I think some of u are a bit ocd about this phone :)

I think you're right, on both counts!

Once it's there, and you know it is there, it can become rather annoying and OCD like - especially if it's an isolated piece of dust on the inside of an otherwise perfect screen! In my case, it was made even worse as I noticed it before I'd even put my new phone on charge! :D

I'm hoping it was a piece of dust which sneaked in during the manufacturing process, and not that the phone's build lets dust sneak under the screen as time goes on.

I'd like to hope and assume that the screen is sealed shut preventing such things occuring?

Upvote 0
Had my Desire (replacement) for just over a day (it's constantly been in a case) and I've just noticed about 6x specs in different places - the screen was off and the sunlight coming in through the window just showed them up, I would have never noticed them otherwise.

Now the thought of them haunts me :s

Upvote 0
Had my Desire (replacement) for just over a day (it's constantly been in a case) and I've just noticed about 6x specs in different places - the screen was off and the sunlight coming in through the window just showed them up, I would have never noticed them otherwise.

All the desires I have seen have had at least a few specs of very fine dust under the screen... i actually think they are getting in during manufacturing process. I myself had two desires as first one had dead pixel and this had dust to. Provided more duset does not appear I do not mind... like others have said... you cajt see it under normal use... and tbh is feel a little silly demanding a reppacement due to a few specs of dust... espefially as the replacement will prob have the same issue.

Upvote 0

That's exactly it. Once you spot the dust, you know it's there and it becomes rather annoying!

All the desires I have seen have had at least a few specs of very fine dust under the screen... i actually think they are getting in during manufacturing process. I myself had two desires as first one had dead pixel and this had dust to. Provided more duset does not appear I do not mind... like others have said... you cajt see it under normal use... and tbh is feel a little silly demanding a reppacement due to a few specs of dust... espefially as the replacement will prob have the same issue.

This is where I am quite worried. I'm hoping to exchange my phone for a dust-free Desire. However, as don't want to find that my replacement handset is even worse than my current phone! If that's the case, I'll have to consider my options I suppose.

Some people have said their Desire has no dust under the screen. If this is the case, then I will am hopeful my replacement will be the same. However, I suppose it all depends on how much attention a person has paid to the screen - as you can only see the dust when the phone is in standby mode or switched off.

I can only compare it to purchasing a new car or something. If you had the choice between a new car with no defects or a new car with a minor defect which did not affect the performance in any way, and you had to look extremely hard for in order to spot it, a person would choose the car in pristine condition.

Upvote 0
That's exactly it. Once you spot the dust, you know it's there and it becomes rather annoying!

This is where I am quite worried. I'm hoping to exchange my phone for a dust-free Desire. However, as don't want to find that my replacement handset is even worse than my current phone! If that's the case, I'll have to consider my options I suppose.

Some people have said their Desire has no dust under the screen. If this is the case, then I will am hopeful my replacement will be the same. However, I suppose it all depends on how much attention a person has paid to the screen - as you can only see the dust when the phone is in standby mode or switched off.

I can only compare it to purchasing a new car or something. If you had the choice between a new car with no defects or a new car with a minor defect which did not affect the performance in any way, and you had to look extremely hard for in order to spot it, a person would choose the car in pristine condition.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, i see where u are coming from.

Let us know how the replacement turns out...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones