DVD Video Solutions for Motorola Droid

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BobbyRed, Jun 15, 2010.

1. BobbyRed

BobbyRed Member

Nov 27, 2009
    Railroad Conductor (freight).
    Goose Creek, SC
    After a bit of frustration, I finally found a couple different methods to encode a DVD for successful viewing on the Droid. My first successful attempt involved using CloneDVDmobile using Playstation 3 AVC/H264 settings for screen size 720x480. I was able to view the video (full screen/aspect) using Act 1, Meridian and Video Player. A preferred method uses DVD Catalyst for conversion with resultant screen size of 848x480, and video quality at 900kbps. Viewed successfully on all 3 previously mentioned video players. I recommend both CloneDVDmobile and DVD Catalyst. However, DVD Catalyst gives the user significant control regarding the quality of the finished product.

Advertisement

2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian
    VIP Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    If you liked DVD Catalyst, you should look into Handbrake. I ripped the BluRay of GIJoe onto my DROID, file size was ~1.4 GB, quality was awesome.

Ripping TDK tonight.

If you want to convert video formats pretty easily, (I haven't figured out how ot do discs yet) Miro Video Converter is a good, fairly simple alternative - although, from reading your post, you like to be in control of the nitty gritty details, and Miro doesn't allow for that at all.

3. cggorman

cggorman Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2010
    Agreed. I've used four or five different apps for transcoding dvds and for converting to a mobile device, handbrake wins every time.

4. Dmordarski

Dmordarski Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    dvd wizard, convert to WM, then I use xyflash to play them

5. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    It's good to have options. I've had videos that Handbrake has consistently crashed on yet DVD Catalyst was able to convert them without any issues.

6. leftystrat

leftystrat Well-Known Member

Handbrake also has the advantage of being cross-platform (Win/linux).

7. johnlgalt

VIP Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    3rd Rock
    Good point. Options are always good. I have had issues with anime (specifically, a few Claymore episodes that I have in MKV containers)

Good point, also.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

8. jmims

jmims Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Columbus, GA
    +1 for Handbrake. Came across it the other day and tried it out. Took a little bit of tinkering to get it right, but I encoded a 148 minute movie in about 10 minutes. Looked superb on my Droid.

9. RandolphNY

RandolphNY Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Where in the market is Handbrake located? I just did a search and could not find it.

Thxs

10. pTac

pTac Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
  11. skilaufen

skilaufen Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Something
    Somewhere
    Handbrake will do Blu-Ray conversions? I was under the impression it would not. I have held off getting a Blu-Ray drive for my computer since I was told you couldn't convert them yet.

12. BobbyRed

BobbyRed Member

Nov 27, 2009
    Railroad Conductor (freight).
    Goose Creek, SC
    I haven't used handbrake, but you can gewt it here: HandBrake

13. johnlgalt

VIP Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    3rd Rock
    I'll double check, but GIJoe played nicely - but haven't gotten around to TDK yet.

Handbrake is used on your computer, not on the phone. Converting a video on the phone will take days.

14. powerkiter

powerkiter Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    UK
    How do I install Handbrake? I have downloaded it and it told me I needed to install .NET runtime library, so I have downloaded .NET Framework 2.0 and still cant install handbrake what am I doing wrong?

15. F150FAN

F150FAN Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Equipment Operator
    IL
    I am trying to rip a movie, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, with DVD Decrypter. I have never had a problem with this program before but it will not seem to work. What are your suggestions for a ripper and encoder? I am using Handbrake for encoding but I get really mixed results with it. The sound will not sync right at times with Handbrake. Any suggestions?