• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Easy Image Resizing for Android - for Dummies?

SpaceCow

Lurker
Feb 10, 2011
Hello all!

I am in desperate need for an app allowing easy image resizing for Android. Preferably one-button easy. We have quite a lot SE Xperias used in our company and recently users need to send a lot of photos by email. But photos need to be resized first as Xperias shoot photos in max resolution only.

So far the easiest (and the only) app I found is Image Resizer on Market.

Maybe something better is out there?

Reduce Photo Size works like a champ. When you're ready to email a picture, along with the usual choices of Gmail, etc, it also gives you Reduce Photo Size. Once you select that, you can choose from among, like, 6 choices of photo sizes, all the way down to 640x480. THEN you can email that smaller sized photo.

It doesn't reduce the size of your original photo, it makes a reduced size copy that it sends.

And it's free!

Upvote 0
I've tested 3 of these programs for my needs & I settled on "Reduce Photo Size" app as the best of these but still not perfect. They ALL suffer from reduced image quality when the image is reduced, unless the image is NOT going to be viewed on anything other than another phone. These programs do notseem to apply any sharpening after resizing & they should. Ideally they should allow user control of sharpening, either with scaleable input or several choices of say, light, medium, strong or edge sharpening.

RY Batch Resizer had for ME, poor quality or blurred outputs, it was VERY SLOW & the free version had ADS (which I personally HATE as it uses up data. I'd rather have reduced features than Ads & RY Batch Resizer Free has both, reduced function & Ads.) RY Batch Resizer is so slow on one image that I can't imagine batch resizing many images.

Image Shrink Lite was also had poor quality or blurred reduced images. It's functionality was also poor for my needs.

Reduce Photo Size was slightly better than the other two for image quality it was otherwise better too. Sadly The free version sadly also has Ads. It is what I use if I have to. I turn off my data connection before using the program to prevent Ads.

Currently, there are NO really good image resizing apps out there IMO. They all have poor image quality for reduced images & none offer user selected or controlled sharpening & for photo apps, they should.

However, you all may be less critical of image quality & so any of these programs will work, but RY will still likely be the slowest.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones