• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Easy switch to Loudspeaker mode

peterc10

Android Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2010
UK
A lot of the time I leave my phone on its desk charger. I would like to be able to set it up so that anytime that I receive or make a call when it is charging the loudspeaker mode will be automatically turned on. That way it can be used as a speakerphone. Is there an app that can do that please?

Alternatively is there a little switch widget that I can put on my homescreen and which can toggle the loudspeaker mode on and off? I want this to usable when I first set the phone on charge, so I do not have to fiddle about with the phone when a call comes in.

By the way I am still running a stock Orange 1.5 ROM

Thanks for any help

Many thanks to both of you.

jmfryer1978 - I tried Car Mode and it works well. With it you do not need a bluetooth car kit - had good conversation using the speakerphone. Only trouble is I have already forgotten to toggle it off! So I am still looking for something that does this automatically if possible. If not then I will continue to use it and try to remember to toggle.

Xyro - will locale work automatically by sensing that it is on the charger? I thought it just relied upon your position to set up a profile. I can't do that if I am going to use it in the car. And when I am at home I only want it to be on speakerphone when it is sitting on its charger

Upvote 0
It doesn't just rely on your location, it can detect other factors too, including whether the phone is charging. So you can set it to automatically switch to speakerphone when the phone is charging.

It sounds like that's just what you want, it's just a lot to pay for an app.

Upvote 0
I think that this is the app you need.
Setting Profiles Full v1.0.18B1.

More info

http://www.probeez.com/
Thanks for this. Looks good, the problem is I can't access it on Google Market. Have tried searching, and using the bar code on the probeez site but Google tells me it can't be found. I have left a comment on the probeez website. I suspect it is because it is for use with 1.6 and above.

Upvote 0
Thanks for this. Looks good, the problem is I can't access it on Google Market. Have tried searching, and using the bar code on the probeez site but Google tells me it can't be found. I have left a comment on the probeez website. I suspect it is because it is for use with 1.6 and above.
Sorry i have just noticed you are on an orange Hero hopefully you will get
the upgrade soon.

Upvote 0
UpSoundDown does exactly this: automatically switches to loudspeaker when your phone is flipped vertically, lying flat face up, or lying flat face down (depending on configuration)

I tried that already. Unfortunately this does not do what I want it to do which is switch to loudspeaker when it is charging on a desk (or car) dock. And having to take the phone out of the dock and move it around when the phone rings would sort of defeat the purpose of having it on the dock as a speakerphone in the first place.

Anyway the good news is that I got a copy of the free version of the Setting Profiles from the slideME site. Had to download the apk to my computer and then copy it across and use Astro to run it, at which point I realised just how much easier using the market is than the old Windows Mobile ways, but hey it worked.

So many thanks to revel for coming up with pretty well exactly what I asked for.

In addition for those looking for a cheaper version of Locale the paid for version of Setting Profiles ($3.95) looks pretty good. Seems to have lots of things that you pay extra for in Locale. I may well give it a go once I get 2.1 and have access to it via the market.

Upvote 0
Steve,

thanks and yes I had noticed that. It is better than before but is still a tad too fussy for me. I want to use this as an effective car phone and desk phone, and searching for a little button on a screen is not something I want to do in either of those circumstances. The free version of Setting Profiles does it all automatically for me.

By if you have a powered mount for your car, putting the Hero onto loudspeaker effectively removes the need for a bluetooth carphone kit.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones