• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eclair 2.0 confirmed for the htc hero

The way Sprint handles this will make them or break them in my book. They will be "The Now Network" or "The Not Now Network".
lol

Ok, not to play devils advocate here, but I saw the twitter HTC announcement, and read most of the announcements throughout the web about the Hero getting the 2.0 update, but nowhere does it state the Sprint Hero. For all intent and purposes this could just be for the European version.

Any thoughts?

TS out (playing with the devil)

Upvote 0
Oh I was under the impression in this thread that this was announced for the Sprint Hero. I would think the euro hero would get the update first because they have had their phone longer. Is the euro hero CDMA? If not we still have to wait because there will be many bullshit adjustments that sprint will demand because as the article I read this morning tells me, Sprint loves to lose customers.

Upvote 0
I sent them a message from their web site about updating to 1.6 or 2.0. Here is what they said.

"I understand how important it is for you to have the latest software available for your device. If your device is branded to a carrier we work with them to determine which of their branded HTC devices will receive software updates. If your carrier does not request an update for the device we cannot create or host it. However if your carrier requests a software update we will host it on www.htc.com/us or your carrier’s site. If your device is not branded to a carrier we will release all software updates for the device on the specific region your device was intended for use in on www.htc.com."

So we may need to make sure Sprint knows we want this. NO! We need this!

can you just see them, sitting around, reading these questions, and pondering... "how do we answer them - but NOT answer them??" and... "how do we answer them - yet put the blame/responsibility/accountability ALLLLLLLL on someone else??"

pathetic

----
edit: and TYPICAL

Upvote 0
Oh I was under the impression in this thread that this was announced for the Sprint Hero. I would think the euro hero would get the update first because they have had their phone longer. Is the euro hero CDMA? If not we still have to wait because there will be many bullshit adjustments that sprint will demand because as the article I read this morning tells me, Sprint loves to lose customers.
No, the Euro Hero is GSM.

The truth of the matter is, since 1.6 Android has supported both GSM as well as CDMA. So they really only have to apply Sense to 2.0 and slightly modifiy it for different carriers. Like adding all the silly Sprint Apps, like NASCAR, Sprint Nav, NFL and Sprint TV.

So while it may be released for GSM versions with no frills sooner, it should not take a whole lot longer to add 4 apps to a Sprint version.

Upvote 0
Just saw the first Sprint Hero commercial. Problem? It was an HTC commercial. That sucks because Verizon is running constant fourth quarter commercials. If Sprint is planning something amazing I will forgive them. However they are not. They never are. There is a moto cliq commercial now. Every available android phone gets a commercial except for the sprint ones. Our phone will not be the ultimate android phone ever with this level of marketing. This is go time for getting new customers as teens get christmas phones. I think the Droid will take off because of their commercial which is awesome. Kids like things that seem popular. Things that are an internet secret are cool for those in the know but not for the masses. I am not a phone snob, I want others to get this phone too. Otherwise we are programming and rooting too many different phones.

Upvote 0
My question to you Andy is this. Why does it matter?

I dont believe that you are looking at the overall picture. More Android devices = more Android users = better Android experience. Better apps or evolving OS. Your Hero is still a great phone, but it sounds like you have "Phone Envy" based solely on advertisements.

Our phone will not be the ultimate android phone ever with this level of marketing. This is go time for getting new customers as teens get christmas phones. I think the Droid will take off because of their commercial which is awesome.

Your Hero was out dated long before it ever got off the the truck.
Android Phone Fans Samsung Galaxy

That link is proof of that. Does the Hero and Sense look great? Indeed it does. Is it the alpha and omega of phones? Hardly. And you know something else? Around the corner, there will be a phone that will make Droid look bad. Welcome to the ever changing world of electronics.

Upvote 0
My issue is with Sprint not Android. Sprint lost the war on the named android device to Verizon. I just want sprint to acknowledge this phone in a big way so that people will use it before the other phones because I think it is friendly enough to keep a lot of people from returning to other OS running phones. This phone is my top pick of phones because it just looks good and is still a good example of android. Once it's rooted it will be the best. Instead we are going to be stuck hearing about and seeing people disappointed by a motorola phone. I just don't have confidence in Motorola. This seems to be the big push for Android and if all phone companies aren't on board and the ones that are do not push these phones we will lose this OS. God help us if the old stalwart microsoft wins this battle again.

Upvote 0
My issue is with Sprint not Android. Sprint lost the war on the named android device to Verizon. I just want sprint to acknowledge this phone in a big way so that people will use it before the other phones because I think it is friendly enough to keep a lot of people from returning to other OS running phones. This phone is my top pick of phones because it just looks good and is still a good example of android. Once it's rooted it will be the best. Instead we are going to be stuck hearing about and seeing people disappointed by a motorola phone. I just don't have confidence in Motorola. This seems to be the big push for Android and if all phone companies aren't on board and the ones that are do not push these phones we will lose this OS. God help us if the old stalwart microsoft wins this battle again.
I personally find Droid to be UGLY. Its my opinion, but thats how I feel.

Explain to me, just how we are going to lose the OS?

You say your issue is with Sprint... About? Lack of advertising the Hero? What? Because they didnt land Droid?

Honestly, you are going in so many different directions at once, its hard to follow you.

Upvote 0
I think the droid will have problems keeping people on contract like the hero can. I do not like the droid for advancing our OS and that is what it will be doing because of the most likely successful ad campaign by verizon. Sprint has the better phone but it gets zero billing so people will pop their android cherry on the wrong device and it could be deemed a failure or not mature. I don't want it dismissed like that again. Again as in with the G1.

Upvote 0
I see what you're saying, but I look at it like this. Android and the G1 were both very young. Thats the main reason Sprint didnt pick up anything Android last year. They didnt feel it was ready. Depending on who you ask, they will tell you its still not ready. At least the HTC Hero anyway. Due to some of the issues.

Sprint was one of the first to sign up with the OHA when it was formed. They just held back. It seems that VZ and other handset makers all feel that Android is ripe for the picking.

Is it perfect? No, but there isnt a phone out there that is. One can even find things to complain about with the beloved iPhone. Will the Droid flop? Thats anyones guess. With 2.0 riding on it, its really hard to say. I dont know what kind of tweaks have been made to 2.0 to improve performance. Which is the main complaint of the OS.

As the saying goes... If you make something fool proof, the world will make a better fool. That is to say that no matter how good something might be, there will always be someone that can screw it up. Which in this case would lead to giving the device or OS a bad name.

Upvote 0
I just don't think the Hero is meant to be a top android phone. It has subpar specs to begin with, it's kind of outdated compared to the potential of Android in my opinion. Yes it's a quality phone, but after the first few days I admit it lost some of the "wow" factor and I began noticing the problems. Let's face it maybe Sprint isn't ready to commit to Android, or maybe Sprint still doesn't think it's ready and wants to invest in something that is unclear whether or not it will work out. Being the #1 provider in customers and in my opinion data/call service, Verizon surely has the revenue to invest in a fancier and flashier device, and to produce a whole slew of fancy commercials to accompany it, perhaps Sprint can't/isn't willing to do the same yet.

Upvote 0
here is a transcript from: David Owens, VP of Consumer Marketing, Sprint

pnutku: Will the release of 2.0 be over the air or will we have to go to a sprint store for the update?
David: it will be a wired update but can be done via sprint.com

so there you go, all u maybe this is gsm.....bla bla bla!!! its 100000000% for the sprint hero!!!!!

why do u suppose it will be wired only??? size????

Upvote 0
Personally I'm more interested in WHEN than HOW. 30 days goes awfully fast when you're stuck with a halfway complete device. What's especially irritating is that even as my iPhone 3GS sits here and stares at me with a much more complete set of features and functionality, I am ultimately rooting for the Hero to pull through in the end.

I so badly want to ditch the virtual machine I have just for the sake of putting music on my phone. Also iTunes SUCKS.

-n8

Upvote 0
here is a transcript from: David Owens, VP of Consumer Marketing, Sprint

pnutku: Will the release of 2.0 be over the air or will we have to go to a sprint store for the update?
David: it will be a wired update but can be done via sprint.com

so there you go, all u maybe this is gsm.....bla bla bla!!! its 100000000% for the sprint hero!!!!!

why do u suppose it will be wired only??? size????

Well, that makes sense. As expected, it sounds like it is a full flash of the operating system (plus) so it does compute that it would be a wired replacement. I would prefer it be that way too, to provide for a solid source sans the problems of microwave propogation, noise, etc. Good news in my book. Now it is a waiting game :D

Upvote 0
You wouldnt happen to have a link to the full transcript would you Wams?

As for the way they are doing the update, they say its due to file size, but I'd guess they just dont want the increased traffic running over their network if they dont have to.

i could find it, but all the rest is Q & A about all kinds of Sprint crap. that was the only relavent question about the hero!!! they had others about future android devices..... all responces were a "robust line in 2010, thats all i'll say about it"

Upvote 0
i could find it, but all the rest is Q & A about all kinds of Sprint crap. that was the only relavent question about the hero!!! they had others about future android devices..... all responces were a "robust line in 2010, thats all i'll say about it"
I was hoping it was the same Q&A that said they were not going to allow tethering to 2010 so that I could see how the question was posed and answered. Do you know if that came up at all? Thats really all I wanted to look at.

Upvote 0
Personally I'm more interested in WHEN than HOW. 30 days goes awfully fast when you're stuck with a halfway complete device. What's especially irritating is that even as my iPhone 3GS sits here and stares at me with a much more complete set of features and functionality, I am ultimately rooting for the Hero to pull through in the end.

I so badly want to ditch the virtual machine I have just for the sake of putting music on my phone. Also iTunes SUCKS.

-n8

And was your iPhone as feature-filled and stable when it first came out? Perspective is important. As well as patience. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones