• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Email check frequency - faster than 15min. Possible?

zedwalker

Lurker
Jun 3, 2013
Hello,

I apologize if this has already been covered. I found another thread with a similar topic and I posted in it with no response.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 on Rogers (Canada). Android version 4.1.1. I currently have my work email which is a POP3 Server, setup through the Email Application that comes on the OS. I have the email frequency set to the shortest time of 15 minutes. What I want to know is; is it possible to set this so it is instant? What if I forward my work emails to my Gmail Account? Would this work? If so when I reply to work emails would it show a responding from Gmail or my work email?

I work in Sales and there are Sales Leads forwarded to all of our email and I am missing out on them as my colleagues have for the most part switched the the new Blackberry in order to get emails instantly. I fear I may have to do the same which would be unfortunate. I love my Galaxy.

Help is much appreciated.

Hello,

I apologize if this has already been covered. I found another thread with a similar topic and I posted in it with no response.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 on Rogers (Canada). Android version 4.1.1. I currently have my work email which is a POP3 Server, setup through the Email Application that comes on the OS. I have the email frequency set to the shortest time of 15 minutes. What I want to know is; is it possible to set this so it is instant? What if I forward my work emails to my Gmail Account? Would this work? If so when I reply to work emails would it show a responding from Gmail or my work email?

I work in Sales and there are Sales Leads forwarded to all of our email and I am missing out on them as my colleagues have for the most part switched the the new Blackberry in order to get emails instantly. I fear I may have to do the same which would be unfortunate. I love my Galaxy.

Help is much appreciated.

Hi and welcome. To answer your question(s), and in part you already got the right idea, I'll try to explain it in simple terms.

You cannot get instant fetch from a POP3 account as it needs to be polled at regular intervals. But in order to achieve what I think you want, which is emails arriving on your mobile the minute they hit the server then you need a Push service, like MS Exchange or Google's Gmail offer. Google Gmail can be set to work as an IMAP service by simple going to settings in your account via your web browser (its the cogged wheel symbol below your sign in/out button at the top right of the email page). Go to settings and then on that page to 'Forwarding and POP/IMAP', followed by selecting the radio button to enable IMAP. No you have you Gmail pushing mail instead of having to fetch at regular intervals.

Finally, you can then go to 'Accounts' on the same page as you were on and select to add another POP3 account you own. Go through the setup and from and click save at the end. From now on your Gmail should fetch your POP mail and display it in your Gmail app on your mobile as a separate folder. There is one snag I am not sure how regularly it fetches so you probably will have a delay.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones