• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Email not sending on WI Fi

Whichever port your email account is set to use for SMTP (sending email), the network at work has it blocked for outgoing traffic. Why? You'd have to ask your email or network administrator.

Sometimes, if you add your work email address as an account in your phone, and use that to send emails, it works. That way you're using the work email server to send the emails and it can check for viruses, etc. That's one reason they may be blocking outgoing emails to another server. (Of course there are other "reasons". In one case that I know of, and helped someone overcome, the "email administrator", really an administrative assistant who knew nothing about computers, read something about viruses getting into open ports, so he blocked a lot of outgoing ports.)

Upvote 0
Whichever port your email account is set to use for SMTP (sending email), the network at work has it blocked for outgoing traffic. Why? You'd have to ask your email or network administrator.

Sometimes, if you add your work email address as an account in your phone, and use that to send emails, it works. That way you're using the work email server to send the emails and it can check for viruses, etc. That's one reason they may be blocking outgoing emails to another server. (Of course there are other "reasons". In one case that I know of, and helped someone overcome, the "email administrator", really an administrative assistant who knew nothing about computers, read something about viruses getting into open ports, so he blocked a lot of outgoing ports.)

what you're saying makes sense, but it's actually the guest network I have the phone on so I'm not sure why it would be blocked. Also, it worked fine before we changed buildings, it's only since the building change it's not working proper. As far as I know I'm the only one having issues with this type of thing too.

Upvote 0
what you're saying makes sense, but it's actually the guest network I have the phone on so I'm not sure why it would be blocked. Also, it worked fine before we changed buildings, it's only since the building change it's not working proper. As far as I know I'm the only one having issues with this type of thing too.

It doesn't matter, if the outbound ports on your regular work network are blocked 99% of the time it holds true to the guest network as well unless the admin goes in and turns it off manually for the guest network. Building change equals a network change and your admin blocked these ports when you changed buildings. You stated you get LTE so why not just use your 4G connection instead since the outbound port is blocked probably for security reasons. :security:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones