• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Email trouble on the Epic?

I am telling you that Maildroid is the way to go......even K-9 Mail is waaaaay better then the stock email client...The very first thing I deleted once I rooted my Epic was the stock email client cause it sucks...If you have important emails then please try one of these two....K-9 is a little more advanced but has the stock email feel, allowing you to check every so often for incoming mail....Maildroid is like push email and comes pretty quick after an email is received...Please, everyone.....give up on the stock email client, thank you. :)

Upvote 0
I am telling you that Maildroid is the way to go......even K-9 Mail is waaaaay better then the stock email client...The very first thing I deleted once I rooted my Epic was the stock email client cause it sucks...If you have important emails then please try one of these two....K-9 is a little more advanced but has the stock email feel, allowing you to check every so often for incoming mail....Maildroid is like push email and comes pretty quick after an email is received...Please, everyone.....give up on the stock email client, thank you. :)

ok tried k-9 yesterday..same issues..not updating....off to try maildroid :)

Upvote 0
Well spent another day on the phone with sprint...still not working for my website email nor my earthlink email. Tried both of the both mentioned programs above and i am sure they are great...but the emails still weren't downloading. Deleted and then manually added the email accounts....still nothing. Then I hit refresh and they aren't even downloading that way now.

This is really annoying...

Thanks
Nicole

p.s. some weird texting gibber is happening too

Upvote 0
you should look up the application k9 in the market ive herd its a great alternative email app

You know, I've heard that too, but I downloaded it, and I was pretty underwhelmed. Now, let me say that I didn't sned a huge amount of time looking through the multitude of options, but at first glance it appeared to be missing 2 very important features that are on the default client:

1) pinch-zoom in message view
2) the ability to select messages for deletion all at once

Did I just miss those settings? I downloaded it because the default app has been very flaky about syncing with my ATT/Yahoo account, with long blackouts of no new mail even though I know I have some (as confirmed by the Yahoo mail client). But my Pre did that all the time too, so I wouldn't be surprised if it were a flaky IMAP server. I assume the yahoo mail client doesn't actually transfer mail to the device, but is basically like webmail outside of a browser.

So maybe I'll give maildroid a look, with all the good things being said about it here.

Thanks,
-- robert

Upvote 0
OK, maildroid supports message selection, and has a nicer interface (like the default client - K9 is a bit utilitarian for me), but still no pinch-zoom. Is that interface not well-documented, or worse yet, not public to app developers? Or has it just not been implemented yet? As much HTML mail as I get with images, that's a must-have for me, so I guess I'll be sticking with the default client and hoping connection problems go away (and using Yahoo mail to check when I suspect I'm not getting mail).

Again, am I just missing the option somewhere? That seems like kind of a big omission...

-- robert

Upvote 0
Both K9 and Maildroid sucked ass for me. K9 kept on giving me the same false "new mail" notification as the stock app. Maildroid on the other hand was very very slow and deleted a bunch of mail off the phone and server! Both get a score of "D-". The good news is that at least for Hotmail, Exchange Activesync is now available. Works great for instant notification of new mail. Only issue so far is that it is not officially released for Android so even new mail in your junk folder will get you a notification.

Upvote 0
Ok....it's over! lol...i am bringing this little girl back to the store!

I've done everything mentioned above and NOTHING fixed it. Maybe one day i'll buy her back (when everything is worked out).

But emails are simply not working. Mine wouldn't download for 12 hours and that was even with me hitting refresh...several times. This was three different accounts 1 earthlink.net and two for my website. Sent emails...none of them sent....until 24hours later.

Text messages....sent to my mom and sister (who are on AT&T got) and they both ???? for a text message.

The phone calls work...well at least i think they do....i did ignore one call with a text and thought maybe it would allow me to text something...but nothing came up...so maybe i don't know how that feature works.

Anyways....if I can't text and most importantly get emails.....then this is worse than my outdated blackberry! So, bye bye samsung epic....i so love the idea of you working.

Hope everyone gets theirs working and maybe let me know when samsung gets it right and i'll be back ;)

Nicole

Upvote 0
I would think you should try to exchange the phone to see if you just got a bad device....I have no issues with my gmail or my hotmail/yahoo accounts using Maildroid and for me maildroid is not slow at all. You got to understand that blackberry is mainly a business phone first off, emails are the name of the game there. Android on the other hand doesn't do the email integration as well but everything else it'll blow the blackberry away. Sorry it didn't work out for you anyway.

Upvote 0
I would think you should try to exchange the phone to see if you just got a bad device....I have no issues with my gmail or my hotmail/yahoo accounts using Maildroid and for me maildroid is not slow at all. You got to understand that blackberry is mainly a business phone first off, emails are the name of the game there. Android on the other hand doesn't do the email integration as well but everything else it'll blow the blackberry away. Sorry it didn't work out for you anyway.

Sure I know....but it's one thing if the email doesn't download exactly every increment I set it to. It's another for it does not download at all and then even when I select refresh it doesn't download at all.....and this wasn't just for my earthlink account....it was for my emails connected to my website too.

Then the text messages was garbling my messages. Believe me...it pained me to return it...but I need my email. I run my business and my yahoo group mostly from my phone and if those don't work....it would really ruin things for me.

So I'lll just remain behind the times a little bit longer, lol...maybe one of these days samsung will do some updates to get their phone to work better or by that time there will be another one.

So if anyone hears about it before I do....feel free to send me a message ;)

Thanks for everyone's help!...just didn't work for me.

Nicole

Upvote 0
Sure I know....but it's one thing if the email doesn't download exactly every increment I set it to. It's another for it does not download at all and then even when I select refresh it doesn't download at all.....and this wasn't just for my earthlink account....it was for my emails connected to my website too.

Then the text messages was garbling my messages. Believe me...it pained me to return it...but I need my email. I run my business and my yahoo group mostly from my phone and if those don't work....it would really ruin things for me.

So I'lll just remain behind the times a little bit longer, lol...maybe one of these days samsung will do some updates to get their phone to work better or by that time there will be another one.

So if anyone hears about it before I do....feel free to send me a message ;)

Thanks for everyone's help!...just didn't work for me.

Nicole
Sorry this has happened to you. I switched from MS Mobile and need business functionality as well, but while I share your problem w/ the native email client not pushing and notifying me of my several accounts (a problem I hope to solve) I have not had ANY of the other issues you have described.
Sounds like you have a bad unit in combination w/ less than optimal email functionality. You really should try exchanging for a new Epic, use MailDroid as your client (just made the switch to MD- it's pretty good, nothing is going to be BB good when it comes to email) and you just might come to the same conclusion that I have: while email is a small step below BB & MS Mobile, on balance, Android in an EPIC blows away any other phone (sorry EVO, et al- I need a keyboard) and w/ the right apps installed the Epic has made me more productive and efficient in the conduct of my business (and it's so much fun when I'm not working!). I'm definitely keeping my Epic 4G.

Upvote 0
I'm having this exact same problem with my wife's Epic - email settings are all correct (verizon pop3) and it just won't retrieve them regularly, nor when she tries to refresh manually many times. Sometimes I can reset the inbox and they come down, but then it just happens again. There is clearly something wrong with the email client and/or sync functions with this phone. I have none of these issues on my Evo with the same email account.

Has anyone found or heard of a fix for this yet? This will be enough for my wife to take it back within the 30 days - very frustrating.

Upvote 0
I'm having this exact same problem with my wife's Epic - email settings are all correct (verizon pop3) and it just won't retrieve them regularly, nor when she tries to refresh manually many times. Sometimes I can reset the inbox and they come down, but then it just happens again. There is clearly something wrong with the email client and/or sync functions with this phone. I have none of these issues on my Evo with the same email account.

Has anyone found or heard of a fix for this yet? This will be enough for my wife to take it back within the 30 days - very frustrating.

It's not the phone, it's the native email client. Just download the maildroid app from Market. It's working perfectly on my Epic.

Upvote 0
Had the same issues and the guys at the corporate store thought I was nuts.

Had it reset to factory yesterday and the d107 update installed.

Mail still doesn't come through for hours on 3 different accounts, GPS is worse than before using Sprintnav in real time and my battery life is a fair bit worse...and it was excellent.

This pretty much BLOWS.

Upvote 0
I was told that some accounts simply would not be able to check mail when wifi was on (like Yahoo, my main account). I enabled WiFi to download something large the first day I got the phone, and after that my mail stopped checking (even after wifi was disabled again) until I rebooted. So that could be your problem. Other than that, it's been pretty relaibale for Yahoo IMAP. I don't sync with my exchange account at work (they'll have to pay my service if they want me to get email on my personal phone :)

-- robert

I haven't been able to get my email (other than gmail acct which I really don't use for email at this point) on the Epic. Hated a bunch of software things about the blackberry but email was simple -- had my personal email (from ISP but yahoo based) as well as a work email and it worked well. I'm not finding the proper ports and codes to use to set up my ATT mail, much less the work one -- have gotten yahoo mail on the browser, but its not the same...)

Upvote 0
I just got off the phone with Samsung Support (after Chatting then getting directed to their Level 2 support).
It is the client that is the issue. It doesn't matter how many times you soft boot, take out the battery, reset up accounts, use Wi-Fi or not - it's still going to eventually freeze.
Use one of the other email clients, as the others suggested, until they get this app fixed.
Sprint just came out with an update a couple of days ago. It auto loaded on my phone, but I don't think it made a difference with the email.

Upvote 0
I'm having similar issues with email. I have the stock email app set to poll Yahoo (IMAP) every 5 minutes and it does not. When I go into the mail program and force a refresh all the mail gets pulled down. Emails that are hours old...

The only exception (which I just noticed today) is when I have 4G connected. When 4G is connected I sometimes get notifications of new emails in the bar, but not 100% of the time.

I'm sure this is a simple fix, but I hope Samsung gets it figured out soon. Otherwise I will have to move to the EVO.

Upvote 0
I have a possible solution that may or may not be acceptable for some of you. I have gmail check my other accounts for me. My gmail addess and yahoo are the same (myname@gmail.com and myname@yahoo.com). I have it set up so that if I reply to an email sent to my yahoo, it says it's from "name@yahoo.com " I've been using Yahoo for over 10 years now, so I didn't want to lose that address, nor did I want to send a mass "My email has changed" email. Most of my friends and family still us the Yahoo address to contact me, and haven't even realized that I'm really using Gmail. This isn't a perfect solution, but it has it's advantages. Since it is the Gmail server polling my yahoo account it saves battery life on the phone. Also, I have all my mail and contacts on one website now. Gmail client is push, so it is fast like a blackberry. It also has a better spam filter, and after you get used to the inbox, you might like it better than most (it is different though). When we get Froyo, you'll be able to use the priority inbox also. Give it a try, if you don't like it, you can always undo it, and it's free.

Upvote 0
I'm having similar issues with email. I have the stock email app set to poll Yahoo (IMAP) every 5 minutes and it does not. When I go into the mail program and force a refresh all the mail gets pulled down. Emails that are hours old...

The only exception (which I just noticed today) is when I have 4G connected. When 4G is connected I sometimes get notifications of new emails in the bar, but not 100% of the time.

I'm sure this is a simple fix, but I hope Samsung gets it figured out soon. Otherwise I will have to move to the EVO.
It's not the Epic, it's the native email client. Just go to Android Market on your Epic and download the "Maildroid" app. Version 1.47. Set up your accounts.
It handles Yahoo, Gmail & corporate accounts, EVERYTHING. It's the best android email client out there! Polls all accounts automatically. Trust me. Do it. You will be very happy. And it's FREE.

Reactions: mynewandroid
Upvote 0
It's not the Epic, it's the native email client. Just go to Android Market on your Epic and download the "Maildroid" app. Version 1.47. Set up your accounts.
It handles Yahoo, Gmail & corporate accounts, EVERYTHING. It's the best android email client out there! Polls all accounts automatically. Trust me. Do it. You will be very happy. And it's FREE.

Thanks Boss. Maildroid seems to be working ok for me. Not quite as "sexy" as the stock email client (ads & no pinch to zoom) but at least it works like it is supposed to!

Silly question...Do I need to leave the app running all the time to receive email notifications? I have it set to poll every 5 minutes and never allow the processor to sleep. Seems like that is the only way I get notifications. Not sure if it is supposed to be like that or not.

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones