1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Email vs. Gmail

Last Updated:

1. mikeroosa

mikeroosa New Member This Topic's Starter

Let me start off by saying that I'm 100% new to Android as of last night. I switched from the iPhone 3G over to the Samsung Captivate.

I like it a lot, but have a couple of questions about the email. I have a Gmail icon and I have an Email icon. Seeing that I use Gmail for my personal email, can I replace the Email icon on the home page with the Gmail icon?

Also, if you are using Gmail, is there any point to have the Email app installed? Can I uninstall it?

Advertisement
  2. floepie

floepie Well-Known Member

You can't uninstall it, but you can delete the shortcut just like any of your shortcuts on your home screen (think desktop). If you are coming from the iphone and use Gmail, I'd recommend a home replacement that is much more snappy and has expose-like features. It's called LauncherPro. By default, it adds a badge to your Gmail icon that enumerates your inbox unread emails just as the iphone does.

3. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

As an option, you can set up the Email account to fetch your Gmail. This is helpful if you have more than one email account and you'd like them to be all in the same app. In my email account I have it set up for Gmail (I don't use the Gmail app) and for two different yahoo accounts. That way I only have to go to one app to check all my mail.

4. braj

braj Well-Known Member

You can switch out the email app icon in the dock with the Gmail one (I forget how though, I use LauncherPro). I prefer the Gmail client myself. It updates immediately and is less bloated IMO. If you just use Gmail it is great.

5. dwhollo

dwhollo New Member

anyone have any experience with a very truncated list of emails in your inbox (email app not GMail). I have my email app pulling down my comcast emails but I am only able to see a few days worth of emails on in my EVO inbox. I have receive settings to 30 days and no limit on email size. What am I missing?

6. mikeroosa

mikeroosa New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks guys. I did install Launcher Pro and I'm giving that a try. I think I'll use gmail for my main email and the email app for my corporate mail. Now, can you rename the icons? I need a Android for beginners book or something.