• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Email vs. Gmail

mikeroosa

Lurker
Aug 17, 2010
Let me start off by saying that I'm 100% new to Android as of last night. I switched from the iPhone 3G over to the Samsung Captivate.

I like it a lot, but have a couple of questions about the email. I have a Gmail icon and I have an Email icon. Seeing that I use Gmail for my personal email, can I replace the Email icon on the home page with the Gmail icon?

Also, if you are using Gmail, is there any point to have the Email app installed? Can I uninstall it?

You can't uninstall it, but you can delete the shortcut just like any of your shortcuts on your home screen (think desktop). If you are coming from the iphone and use Gmail, I'd recommend a home replacement that is much more snappy and has expose-like features. It's called LauncherPro. By default, it adds a badge to your Gmail icon that enumerates your inbox unread emails just as the iphone does.

Upvote 0
As an option, you can set up the Email account to fetch your Gmail. This is helpful if you have more than one email account and you'd like them to be all in the same app. In my email account I have it set up for Gmail (I don't use the Gmail app) and for two different yahoo accounts. That way I only have to go to one app to check all my mail.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones