• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Enabling usb debugging in Recovery mode adb

xuare

Dec 22, 2011
General question. USB recovery mode is a low level set of operations (at least lower than the Android JVM used by all apps), and I know there is an adbd daemon on the phone. I was wondering what happens, specifically, when you enable USB debugging in the phone, and where that preference is stored (guessing somewhere in /system/etc/). Since you can use adb when in recovery mode regardless of the way the setting is set, I know there should be ways to turn it on that have to be accessible to usermode (non-root) tools.

Ideally, I would like to be able to "switch on" USB debugging via adb shell in recovery mode. The reason for doing so is so that a reboot of the phone will not close any recovery tools started previously.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones