• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Entering text into adb shell

I am in the process of improving my Firestick 4k. I have added a USB drive and partition it 50:50 so that I have extra "internal" memory and space to save videos etc.

So far everything seems to have gone well.

I am now in the process of transferring apps over to the usb. To do this i am using adb shell with the command

pm move-package "FullAppName" "USBID".

I can find the FullAppName using the command - pm list package "partAppName".

I can find the USBID using the command df -h (all 32 characters of the ID).

So I typed in the move-package (above) for one of the Apps and I successfully moved the App to the USB .....and it worked!!!!

With the cursor flashing at the bottom of the adb shell screen I can save typing bu making a long press on the OK button resulting in a drop-down list of all the previous commands I have typed in.

I do this and select the last move-package command.

So I now have a viable command but with the wrong FullAppName

How can I correct the FullAppName without first deleting the 32 character long USBID?

Addendum

Is there any easier way to do what I am trying to do?

Thanks for your reply.

I am reasonably competent with the use and modification of computers but my work usually involves the use of Widows. I am not familiar with programming via such programs as the adb shell, though I am using this type of programming much more with my Raspberry Pi and the Firestick

A the moment I am using a combination of a keyboard on a Galaxy S10 mobile phone, using the Firestick app, and a Firestick remote.

With the remote keyboard life is certainly much easier. I can now move around the text and edit parts in the middle. Before I had to delete everything from the end and reinstate the corrected version afterwards.

What I have not mastered is the art of cutting and pasting using the adb shell, the S10 keyboard and the Firestick remote. To be true I did not even know if it was possible!

I would appreciate your help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones