• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"EPIC FAIL :( " - Multiple features removed on Epic 4G?

hey quasi, lighten up a little...

I'll admit, I enjoyed the "Are you coming to bed" cartoon. :)

RE the puzzle unlock feature (#1 in the first post): that is a cool feature, but I keep my current phone locked with a pin. I plan on keeping my Epic locked either via pin or pattern. How does puzzle thing behave if you have a pattern unlock or a pin set?

Upvote 0
https://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans...ndividual&WT.z_unav=mst_shop_plans_individual

Nope, nothing has changed, you just are flat out lying about TMobile prices to support your argument.
No Contract- Unlimited talk+text+web is $59.99
....YOU JUST LIED AND SAID IT WAS $79.99.
Under Contract talk+text+web is $79.99, YOU JUST LIED AND SAID IT WAS $99.99.
STOP BEING A LIER!!

Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg

As evidence that I did not lie, see the image above. I don't expect an apology for you getting it wrong, but one would be in order for calling me a "LIER" (liar).

Nope, you said I had I Captivate, I never did, maybe you shouldn't make accusations in the first place?
Yeah, if you're man or woman enough, an apology is seriously in order
Are you an adult? You believe that someone would apologize for assuming that you own a different phone? If you were eating a cheeseburger, and I walked by and said, "that looks like a good hamburger!", would I owe you an apology? Wow, let me know when you hit the real world, where there are things that really matter.

Absolutely wrong and spreading misinformation?? Yeah, that's YOU....and I'm here to correct people like YOU.
Just admit you got it wrong, nothing to be ashamed about... really, it happens.

As I mentioned before, TMO is very competetive. TMO may beat Sprint regarding cost, in some instances. You don't have to put out misinformation to get that point across though.

Upvote 0
If anyone is interested in loading customs roms on the epic, there's a thread going on in the xda forum tracking the progress of CM6 for the Vibrant. I'm not exactly sure but I think CM6 is basically just a modded version of stock android (no skins like touchwiz or sense). I know a lot of people don't really like touchwiz so this could be a possible alternative for them.
XDA thread: Update 8/9 10:50AM (CST): Meet the CM6 Developers for the Samsung Galaxy S - Page 35 - xda-developers
CM6 website: CyanogenMod | Android Community Rom based on FroYo.

Side note: Dietcoke has been banned! Everybody celebrate! I'm usually open to free opinion on this forum but he was just being downright rude. Thanks to the mods for making this forum a better place.

Reactions: gme109
Upvote 0
If anyone is interested in loading customs roms on the epic, there's a thread going on in the xda forum tracking the progress of CM6 for the Vibrant. I'm not exactly sure but I think CM6 is basically just a modded version of stock android (no skins like touchwiz or sense). I know a lot of people don't really like touchwiz so this could be a possible alternative for them.
XDA thread: Update 8/9 10:50AM (CST): Meet the CM6 Developers for the Samsung Galaxy S - Page 35 - xda-developers
CM6 website: CyanogenMod | Android Community Rom based on FroYo.

Side note: Dietcoke has been banned! Everybody celebrate! I'm usually open to free opinion on this forum but he was just being downright rude. Thanks to the mods for making this forum a better place.

I hate to have to see people get banned for talking about something they obviously have a passion for....In dietcoke's case that would be T-Mobile....I am also on T-Mobile and think their prices are great but I will save a lot more money on Sprint by joining my sisters family plan on Sprint....That being said, this thread was not the proper thread for that discussion....I am VERY impressed by how many people have posted on my thread and I hope we can get back on topic because I have read a lot of great posts and I want to keep the conversation flowing!....So, here we are less than 10 days away from having our Epic 4G's in our geeky hands!!!!!....Man I can't wait....So have you guys seen any new reviews or video postings on the software?....I'm hoping to see more confirmation on the whole TouchWiz 2.5 we have been hearing about.

Upvote 0
Way I see it, everything that is missing can be added later with an update. The keyboard and 4g however, cannot :)

Good luck with getting your internal memory back. 1 gig is a joke. :)

I agree with you the keyboard is nice but it isn't worth the $50 premium Sprint is charging making the Epic the most expensive Android phone on the market.

I've played and played and played with 4G all over my metropolitan area and studied the coverage maps. When it works, it's better than 3G but generally not by as much as I'd expect (this is confirmed by tests in another city I've seen on YouTube). The signal is undependable even if you are stationary. The coverage - huge surprise - is far less than 3G and a very large percentage is merely "street" coverage which means you've got to be outdoors to get it.

Quite frankly, Sprint's 4G is a big disappointment. If Sprint offered the Epic at a decent price and allowed me to stick with 3G (their 4G is going to cost me $15 more/month) that'd be my preference.

Upvote 0
Keyboard, forward facing camera, and LED flash on the reg camera. Maybe all of those add up to $50?

Sure I was hoping the Epic would be released for $199.99, but those three additional hardware features are worth the extra 50 bucks. The camera flash alone is worth it to me, that is one of the main reasons I waited for the Epic, that and the fact that Sprint's 450 min. Everything Data plan will fill my needs for a lot less than any other carrier. I'm not a big texter, so I could've done without the physical keyboard, but having a flash on the camera makes it so much more useful. And in my case, since I haven't yet purchased a small pocket camera, the Epic will kill two birds with one stone.

Upvote 0
Simply put - the EPIC 4G is missing "apps" or "software", which can be worked around. The others are missing the hardware.

EPIC WIN!!!

True! The Epic has a whole gig of internal memory! Oh... wait... that's a fraction of the other Galaxy S phones! It does have an extra $50 stuffed into it's price ($250 more than the Vibrant on Amazon). Oh... wait... that really sux. :mad:

Upvote 0
True! The Epic has a whole gig of internal memory! Oh... wait... that's a fraction of the other Galaxy S phones! It does have an extra $50 stuffed into it's price ($250 more than the Vibrant on Amazon). Oh... wait... that really sux. :mad:

Judging by the complaints coming out of the Vibrant/Captivate forums about their 16 gig internal SD card, I'll happily accept that 1 gig of memory instead.

If $50 extra is too much then simply don't buy the phone or buy one of the other variants for cheaper. Some people don't mind the higher price. Personally it isn't a deal breaker for me. $50 more for the extra features, no internal memory lag, and no GPS bug (supposedly) is fine with me.

Upvote 0
Judging by the complaints coming out of the Vibrant/Captivate forums about their 16 gig internal SD card, I'll happily accept that 1 gig of memory instead.

If $50 extra is too much then simply don't buy the phone or buy one of the other variants for cheaper. Some people don't mind the higher price. Personally it isn't a deal breaker for me. $50 more for the extra features, no internal memory lag, and no GPS bug (supposedly) is fine with me.

In my opinion if someone is willing to spend $200 for a phone that you will have for at least a year or two you should be willing to spend another $50 without a whole lot of complaining....Look at it this way guys....If you plan to have the phone for 2 years the cost/benefit of spending an additional $50 is $50/24 or just $2.08 per month more for a qwerty keyboard, FFC, LED Flash, and 4G (maybe not in your area now...or mine for that matter...but highly likely within 2 years)....I know that $.01 for a vibrant is great but just think of how many T-Mobile subscribers paid $200 for that phone when it came out because of the lack of high end phones on T-Mobile....My guess....A lot!....And they are missing those hardware features that we are all about to get on our Epics.....I could have purchased a Vibrant but if I did I would have been settling for a phone that was close but not quite what I really want....So, I will gladly be an early adopter and switch to Sprint so that I can relax in the fact that I am not settling with my phone...August 31st will truly be one Epic day indeed :)

Upvote 0
In my opinion if someone is willing to spend $200 for a phone that you will have for at least a year or two you should be willing to spend another $50 without a whole lot of complaining....Look at it this way guys....If you plan to have the phone for 2 years the cost/benefit of spending an additional $50 is $50/24 or just $2.08 per month more for a qwerty keyboard, FFC, LED Flash, and 4G (maybe not in your area now...or mine for that matter...but highly likely within 2 years)....I know that $.01 for a vibrant is great but just think of how many T-Mobile subscribers paid $200 for that phone when it came out because of the lack of high end phones on T-Mobile....My guess....A lot!....And they are missing those hardware features that we are all about to get on our Epics.....I could have purchased a Vibrant but if I did I would have been settling for a phone that was close but not quite what I really want....So, I will gladly be an early adopter and switch to Sprint so that I can relax in the fact that I am not settling with my phone...August 31st will truly be one Epic day indeed :)

I was planning on spending $200 for a small pocket camera, so spending an extra $50 on the phone, to get an LED flash is a deal. Plus come Nov. here in Denver, Sprint should have its 4G network in place, another reason getting the Epic just makes more sense.

Upvote 0
I can't wait to get this phone....I was really into the EVO, but now I 100% want this phone. I am going to upgrade early (my contract ends on 10/01, but they will let me upgrade on 09/02 early! wooo!) and get it a few days after. Hopefully there will be enough feedback by then on the phone and so I'll know a little more about it.

I had a Pre, now a Hero, but I will fully admit, having the physical keyboard is SOO super nice and I can text/chat a lot faster. The best part is, that its only a tiny bit thicker than my Hero now, which isn't bad at all!

And guys, $250 isn't really that much if you were going to buy at it $200....that is maybe one or two dinners out. And you will probably sell your old phone on ebay right? So you can use those proceeds towards the phone making it a lot cheaper! (at least thats what I'm planning on doing)

Upvote 0

Right. Epic loses storage, but gains speed because that 1GB is much faster. Personally, I think it's the better deal.

Has anyone heard anything from any developers/hackers about porting the missing Samsung apps/features back onto the Epic 4G? (Mostly the Music player is what I'm after)

Supposedly the Epic has TouchWiz 2.5, rather than the 3.0 of the other Galaxy S phones according to here. Maybe this will change with the FroYo update.

Upvote 0

I don't really have an issue with the $50, but I think you should note that people who are buying a phone this high end, are likely to upgrade in one year, not 2, as this phone requires a plan that automatically qualifies for sprint's premier 1 yr upgrade.

Also so long as this phone doesn't have supply issues I see it hitting $100-$150 on amazon, wirefly, letstalk, etc with new 2 yr contract. Customers renewing/upgrading likely will pay as least $200 for this phone though.

Upvote 0
I don't really have an issue with the $50, but I think you should note that people who are buying a phone this high end, are likely to upgrade in one year, not 2, as this phone requires a plan that automatically qualifies for sprint's premier 1 yr upgrade.

Also so long as this phone doesn't have supply issues I see it hitting $100-$150 on amazon, wirefly, letstalk, etc with new 2 yr contract. Customers renewing/upgrading likely will pay as least $200 for this phone though.

Guys - here's my "thinking", and maybe SPRINT is banking on suckers like me. I can pretty guarantee that I will not have this - or any other future phone for 24-months. So - If I have it for 12 months - the $50 comes to $4.16/month - that's less than 1 trip to Starbucks - and - IF I had to choose between the two - would rather have the EPIC 4G

Reactions: Adrift
Upvote 0
Guys - here's my "thinking", and maybe SPRINT is banking on suckers like me. I can pretty guarantee that I will not have this - or any other future phone for 24-months. So - If I have it for 12 months - the $50 comes to $4.16/month - that's less than 1 trip to Starbucks - and - IF I had to choose between the two - would rather have the EPIC 4G

Exactly how I see it. More literal would be one dinner at a nice restaurant. This simply means one night I will not be taking out one of my women, and I will likely be alone that night. Totally worth it.

Upvote 0
Has anyone heard anything from any developers/hackers about porting the missing Samsung apps/features back onto the Epic 4G? (Mostly the Music player is what I'm after)

From what I have read in the XDA Developers forums, there is a very good chance that the missing features will be able to get ported over to the Epic....It will just be a waiting game.....The source source code for the Vibrant and Captivate was released on day one by Samsung so it is expected to be released for the Epic rather quickly as well...I have personally never rooted my phones but I would consider it if I could get at least most of the features I mentioned back onto my Epic 4G!.....Here are a couple of good links to the XDA Developers forum that I found interesting....

Question About Rooting??? - xda-developers

Can Galaxy S device lock-screen be brought to Epic in an apk file?? - xda-developers

Has there been any word on CyanogenMod 6 for the Epic? - xda-developers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones