• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Error in tmp/sideload/package.zip

I've tried to root my Samsung Galaxy Y Pro GT-B5510 using a number of different update.zip files recommended on various sites and forums, but I always encounter the same problem.

The instructions are the same everywhere, and I follow them to the letter: I transfer the file into the root directory of my SD card via USB cable, then disconnect and switch off my phone. I then get into recovery mode (after several attempts) using the Volume-Up, Home and Power buttons. I press Volume-Down to navigate the red menu and then Home to select "apply update from sdcard". I select update.zip, and a stream of cyan text rushes up my screen until it hits a snag...

The red menu reappears, followed by cyan text reading:

.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Although the previous mountain of text rushes up the screen too fast to read, I am sometimes able to catch a glimpse of what seems to be the main indicator of the problem:

Error in tmp/sideload/package.zip

As I said, this happens with multiple versions of update.zip that I've found. Does anyone know what could be causing it?

Reactions: Asriel

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones