• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

eSIM on Visible

Since there is no sub-forum for the carrier, Visible, I'm posting here. My wife recently converted to Android as a long-time IOS user. It almost didn't happen though, based on her experience making the transition. This is not intended as a slam against Visible (a Verizon MVNO), it's just one of those things that would have been nice to know.

Visible supports both SIM and eSIM. But... what they don't mention is that eSIM support is dependent on the IMEI indicating that the device is both unlocked and in their eSIM database. Several years ago I transitioned from a Nexus 5x to a Pixel 5 with them. The 5x had a physical SIM card and I was able to seamlessly switch to the Pixel using eSIM. The difference was that both devices were "mature" in the market when this happened. In my wife's case, her new phone (RAZR+) had only been released a few days earlier. It was purchased directly from Motorola, so there was no question that it was unlocked. But when the directions for moving from one device to another did not work, we soon learned that Visible does not update their database in a timely manner. After several lengthy chats with support, we realized that our best option was to get a SIM card for the RAZR. Despite the aggravating experience of not being able to activate a new phone, to their credit, Visible overnighted the card and she was in business the next day.

Lesson learned: Don't try to use eSIM with Visible unless it is either a device that has been around awhile or is a phone that they sell.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones