• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Everything you need to know about the Moto G (2nd Gen)

So, for the meantime, I appear to have this phone on hand. I switched from having a Galaxy S3 from Boost Mobile and its 4G LTE to this phone, unlocked, with T-Mobile.

I myself am disappointed with the fact that it's not true LTE; that said, it's actually quite shocking how the HSPA+ service, even here at home, gets me on average~ 8Mbps/1Mbps whereas even on my best day, Boost Mobile's 4G LTE anywhere outside of downtown phoenix was barely even 1mbps download. Without going into too much of a rant, even when I did see LTE-worthy speeds with Boost on the S3, I couldn't use it in any meaningful fashion, so this BF I was trying to get myself an unlocked Note 3, but they didn't have any available. And I was at first going to try an Xperia T2 Ultra, but the only unit available was being sent back to Sony. So this was the best available option I had.

Though admittedly I'd still try to see if I can (re)exchange this back for an unlocked Note3, I suppose I should ask how to make the best of this thing. Already wanting to figure out how to root it so I could install some proper adblocking utilities, and try to make the most of its integrated battery.

Another thing I do find disappointing though... is that the screen seems overly dark when playing video, whether it's netflix, youtube or even flash player (through Dolphin). I get the SGS3 had some dynamic contrast, but is there something similar that would make things better on this phone?

Upvote 0
Yea, I can't help but notice how much darker t his screen is compared to that on the Galaxy S3. Like it's honestly difficult to see the details even when I'm at home with it. It's rather jarring too, because finally this is a phone that seems to have the speakers set up for optimal viewing of stuff on like netflix and youtube, or hopefully WWE network for me.

Reactions: jazz53
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones