• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

evo 4g for $30 or wait for photon

justinope

Lurker
May 22, 2010
should I just get the evo 4g while its on sale for $30 or is the extra power in the Photon really worth the wait? as far as I can see it may be more power saving, a little bit faster, camera seems the same, etc.

I guess that with a 150-170$ difference is it really worth it?

The Photon is a superior phone, for sure. Having said that, I don't buy Motorola products. I'd much rather have a HTC, even an Evo 4G (which I love a lot still, while I am waiting for my Evo 3D to be delivered).

Right now nothing really uses dual core, but maybe 4-6 months or more when Ice Cream comes out, it might use dual core more...(?)

If I were you, look at the Evo 3D, Photon, and then the new Samsung Within and buy the one that fits your needs.

Upvote 0
yea true, I guess the other thing is actually with my upgrade price the evo 4g would be free now thanks to a target sale that started today.

it kind of breaks down like the moto phone is nice but ppl say blur is awful and I'm inclined to believe it. and with the galaxy s2, is it gonna be $300? that'll probably be too steep for me

Upvote 0
I have been using my Evo 3D for a couple of days now...WOW...I can't believe how much the phone has blown me away. The blazing performance of this phone is unbelievable, even compared to the great performance of my Evo 4G.

I'm super happy with the Evo 3D...no more looking for Photon or SGS2 any more. I'll be looking next year for the next Evo, but Evo 3D is rocking!! :)

Upvote 0
I have been using my Evo 3D for a couple of days now...WOW...I can't believe how much the phone has blown me away. The blazing performance of this phone is unbelievable, even compared to the great performance of my Evo 4G.

I'm super happy with the Evo 3D...no more looking for Photon or SGS2 any more. I'll be looking next year for the next Evo, but Evo 3D is rocking!! :)

How's the battery life compared to the Evo 4G, Also I know that the Evo 4G doesn't have the best radio in it when it comes to 3G/4G, any difference on the 3D?

Upvote 0
How's the battery life compared to the Evo 4G, Also I know that the Evo 4G doesn't have the best radio in it when it comes to 3G/4G, any difference on the 3D?
Sadly I don't live in a 4G area so I couldn't tell you about 4G battery life. But my 3D has at least 40% better battery life than my Evo 4G (running CM7). I can actually leave mobile data (3G) on all day, as opposed to my 4G where I shut it down most of the day to save battery life.

Upvote 0
should I just get the evo 4g while its on sale for $30 or is the extra power in the Photon really worth the wait? as far as I can see it may be more power saving, a little bit faster, camera seems the same, etc.

I guess that with a 150-170$ difference is it really worth it?
I just recently got the Evo 4G for free at Best Buy. I left Verizon (and most recently the Droid X) after many years and jumped to Sprint because of pricing and much improved network. I had originally decided to get the Evo 3D but, after much research and hand wringing, I took the 4G. And, it wasn't because it was free even though that was sweet. It's a damn great phone. I believe it's going to be good enough to last up to the next round of super dual core monsters coming out by the end of this year and into next Spring. I have gone through the HTC Eris & Incredible, Moto Droid & Droid X and they were, in their own right, good to great phones. The Evo 4G beats them all. For $30 you can't go wrong IMHO.

Reactions: BenChase7
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones