• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Evo 4G on 2.3 a Nightmare?!

thekastone

May 23, 2010
Hi forum. I recently added a second line to my account and put a new HTC Evo on it. Awesome I know right.

This EVO however came with 2.3 Gingerbread, it began giving me problems, first and foremost but easy to fix....the voicemail icon would not go away. (1st day)

(5 days in)Then, I would use my camera, take a picture and try and send it through the share option and my phone would freeze up and reboot. On occasion it would work.

(10 days in) I go to my camera and screen is black, I can't shoot a photo....I have to restart and sometimes it still doesn't work. Soooooo....I took it back and got it replaced. I was happy again.

My new EVO, started having the same problems after a couple of days, but now it goes on a reboot cycle. I still do not have 30 days with the second line.

Is it that Gingerbread sucks or what? What the feezy should I do?

I don't think a hard reset would work because this is a new phone. My 1st line is also evo and now occasionally reboots after an image is taken.

Use an app like 1tap cleaner to clear the cache on your phone. Do some battery pulls too. This tends to help but I can't guarantee that these will be the solution

I went into the fastboot options and went into recovery and I still could not get the phone to start all while pulling the battery in between. Finally, I just did the hard reset through the fastboot menu. It then booted fine, now my camera is working fine again..but I think its only a matter of time before it starts up with the freezing again...

I say I think its only a matter of time because the initial EVO I had, I did a hard reset on before passing it on and just recently I witnessed it too freeze and reboot when taking an image.

So..I am trying to see if anyone else runs into the issue as I think it is due to 2.3 and not hardware.

Upvote 0
If it is exhibiting that many problems, then take it in to Sprint and see what they can do about it. If you are outside of your thirty day return policy, then they will still service your handset and even replace it if you did not cause damage to it for $35.00 for the first year, I believe.

I would try giving it a good factory reset and a one minute battery pull first before doing anything as drastic as what I said above though. Doing that can work wonders on an ailing handset.

Upvote 0
Gingerbread has caused me to go to Sprint and get a new phone twice. The last one they gave me came on 2.2 and I refuse to update!!

I think I would recommend 2.2 as well. My phone worked perfectly and I do mean perfectly from April to about june of 2011. Then I updated because all the sudden I couldn't connect ever since then it has been sorta buggy. Occasional freeze, weird reboot. Battery wouldn't charge one time. then just started charging with no problems nor has it since then. Of course voice to text quit working which I see there is an update now.

If I could go back to 2.2 I think I would.

Upvote 0
I think I would recommend 2.2 as well. My phone worked perfectly and I do mean perfectly from April to about june of 2011. Then I updated because all the sudden I couldn't connect ever since then it has been sorta buggy. Occasional freeze, weird reboot. Battery wouldn't charge one time. then just started charging with no problems nor has it since then. Of course voice to text quit working which I see there is an update now.

If I could go back to 2.2 I think I would.

you could always root your phone and flash a froyo rom.:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones