• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO camera blind test

Which video was better?

• Left

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Right

Votes: 180 98.4%

• Total voters
The fact that you use OSX told me everything i need to know.

I was waiting for someone to point this out. It's pretty crazy how some people think. No offense Jordus, but I just want my dollars to count and honestly I have issues with HTC cutting so so so many corners. I hate AT&T more than anything though, so I'm going to enjoy my EVO on Sprint.

Upvote 0
You mean, like - it's the number one choice of video editing professionals, used probably by most if not all of your local network affiliates to rapidly prepare video for late-breaking news, and used extensively throughout Hollywood-land?

And that aside from things like the large, dedicated processors for that industry, they're legendary for their codec support and getting things right, especially with non-linear editing?

Yeah - the fact that he used OS X told me everything I needed to know, too.

;)

good comeback.

Someone should tell him about all the major block buster movies done on OSX.
Like:
Jarhead,
X-Men Wolverine

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
OK, let's dial the nerd talk down a notch for us old fogies. Bottom line, will either the Evo or the iPhone 4 replace a real camera/videocam for special events/vacations? It's obvious the Evo won't as-is (for video), but I'm also not convinced the iPhone will make the cut. Both use digital zoom, correct? I'll still be lugging along another device for pictures and/or video, and while the Evo obviously needs work, I'm going to keep things in perspective.

Yep, true. All true.

I find it ironic that I can't view half of these video tests on my iPad.

Well, while I find Steve-o to be quite technically correct - and politically correct for long-term use of the web, users are getting their noses cut off to spite Adobe's face.

Thoughts on Flash

I fully support the dream and vision Flash-Free Utopia. And while I'm doing that, I'll be viewing the web in the real world on my Evo in the meantime. ;)

Upvote 0
You mean, like - it's the number one choice of video editing professionals, used probably by most if not all of your local network affiliates to rapidly prepare video for late-breaking news, and used extensively throughout Hollywood-land?

And that aside from things like the large, dedicated processors for that industry, they're legendary for their codec support and getting things right, especially with non-linear editing?

Yeah - the fact that he used OS X told me everything I needed to know, too.

;)

That would also explain why my local afilliates use terribly pixelated graphics. Their screens are always crashing. They queue the wrong feeds all the time, cut videos off too early, can't synch audio/video in their feeds, etc.

Upvote 0
That would also explain why my local afilliates use terribly pixelated graphics. Their screens are always crashing. They queue the wrong feeds all the time, cut videos off too early, can't synch audio/video in their feeds, etc.

No need to argue here. Call and ask them. See what they say. Let me know.

Doesn't sound like any news market I've been in.

Sounds way more like they're smoking some stuff than it does like Final Cut.

Looking forward to the truth.

PS - I've known quite a few TV news directors. Never met one who wouldn't want to engage a viewer with reports like that, and happily share. You might even get a nice tour of their facilities.

Upvote 0
I was waiting for someone to point this out. It's pretty crazy how some people think. No offense Jordus, but I just want my dollars to count and honestly I have issues with HTC cutting so so so many corners. I hate AT&T more than anything though, so I'm going to enjoy my EVO on Sprint.

I'll never understand why when someone brings up a shortcoming of someones phone they act as if they called their mother a fat, whore whale or something. I think this is a great test.

I note the similar behavior over operating systems.

When Steve Jobs or Bill Gates starts writing me checks for my lost time on either operating systems, I'll be sure to join into one of these camps.

I'll always stick up for OS X, Windows and Linux, but I'll never lay down for fanboyism and fud.

I care more about my brand of spark plugs than OS.

I do - I really, really do.

Upvote 0
Bottom line, will either the Evo or the iPhone 4 replace a real camera/videocam for special events/vacations?.

Depends on the user. I am old-school. I shoot with a rangefinder. I never, ever, use a zoom. I always shoot w/ the widest aperture and widest focal length. So, a fix lens is fine with me. I found that out when I bought a dslr that shoots HD video. I then bought a 720p pocket camera w/ a fix lens. All my video is imported into a high-end editing app (which I won't name) and I use another high-end grading app (again, which I won't name). With the right editing and grading, a $100 camera low-end 720p camera can look amazing.

Just do a search for "Canon SD grading" on vimeo.

http://vimeo.com/videos/search:Canon SD grading/a5dfb6a8/sort:relevant/format:thumbnail

There are some basic point-n-shoot cameras that will give you block-buster, hollywood looks with no zoom. It is all in the editing. None of the cameras even have zooms on them. I am talking $75 flip type cams.. All I need is 30fps/720p H.264. My creativity will do the rest.

Here is an example done on a $80 camera. Lower quality than ANY iPhone. Smaller sensor, crappier compression, cheap lens:

http://vimeo.com/4291664

I will have my hands on an iPhone this weekend. I will definitely take it to the paces in an editing suite. From raw footage I've downloaded, the files plays nicely in Avid and Final Cut Pro.

Here is an edited video done on an iPhone 3GS
http://vimeo.com/8417659
http://vimeo.com/9753385

Upvote 0
I think the evo can replace a point and shoot with the correct settings. With video....the only hope we have is froyo. Hopefully froyo can give the evo a steady 30fps regardless of situation.
No matter how much better the video can look, the terrible audio is a big issue for me. What's the point in taking a video recording of, say, my niece's recital if the audio is being compressed so badly?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones