• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Evo Outduels iPhone 4 on. CNET Prizefight

There's a reason why people get the iPhone even with people knowing that AT&T's network is subpar. It's a great phone and if it was available on other (better) carriers, don't be surprised to see a significant increase in iPhone users.

Mostly agree with you. My only hesitation is the other networks. Sprint would love to have iPhone, but I don't see Apple thinking about how many more phones it could sell by going to Sprint. VZW - well, let's just see the power struggle there. VZW strangles phonemakers with their requirements so lets see how Apple handles that. I think the reason Apple is on ATT is that ATT deferred everything to Apple. TMo - too small.

By next year, iPhone will be competing against not just other phonemakers, but the Android OS behemoth that will be largely 2.1, 2.2, and 3.0. Each update after 2.2 really closes the OS performance gap that Apple OS has so I'm not convinced the buying decision will be anything but harder when the next iPhone's intro'd. I'm glad Google dropped N1 because these phones are all about the OS now. I think a lot of people are going to have a hard time discounting Google-driven OS over Apple-driven OS because Android's becoming ubiquitous. There will be dozens of tablets and other devices where cross-communicating and sharing will be possible via Android, and that's a limiting factor for iPhone. Untold numbers of devices to share with via Android versus iPhone OS-only share with iPhone. Apple's phones are going down the exact same path as their PCs and laptops, which ultimately is limited in scale and widespread use because at scale is where closed-systems show their limitations.

And for heaven's sake, LTE has to be working well for the carrier that does it. That's the biggest reason I think ATT will not be a factor - way behind in LTE deployment.

Upvote 0
My iphone from 6:30am till 10pm at night, would show 15-20% left. My EVO now same settings and setup, shows 50% battery left after that time. So no, the iphone does NOT last as long.

I also had to turn stuff off on the iphone to allow it to at least last the day.

I call shenanigans. After all the reviews there's no way an EVO outpaces the iPhone 4 in battery life.

I don't know your usage trends so your experience may be different.

I notice that a lot of people say "I get 40 hrs of battery life!.....when I turn all the radios off.

Me personally my battery life is based off of consistent heavy use

Upvote 0
And for heaven's sake, LTE has to be working well for the carrier that does it. That's the biggest reason I think ATT will not be a factor - way behind in LTE deployment.

I think the point of WiMAX and LTE is that with those technologies, unlike CDMA, we can get what ATT GSM users already have: the ability to talk and browse at the same time.

On that note, I'm recycling because I thought some might find this generally interesting:

iPhone 4 Is Not 4G Phone; LTE And WiMAX Are Not Yet 4G Technology

The "True" 4G Technology

However, so-called 4G technologies, including LTE (Long Term Evolution), WiMAX (Worldwide Interoperability for Microwave Access) and UMB (Ultra Mobile Broadband), are just networking service projects proposed to ITU (International Telecommunication Union) to be defined as 4G technologies. To be accorded the official designation of 4G, the transmission speed has to reach the requirement of 100Mbps (mobile networks) and 1 Gbps (fixed networks).

So far the above so-called 4G technologies have not yet fully complied the transmission requirements of 4G standard, and should be called 3.9G, or pre-4G technologies, ITU noted.

ITU has received six technology submissions and is currently in the evaluation process for determining which can be qualified as true 4G technology. The determination will be made in October 2010, according to ITU's earlier announcement.

Upvote 0
Yes, Wimax and LTE are for data and the CDMA band will continue to be used for calls - the existing tower structure will be in place and used for quite some time. Where it will get crazy though is the IP-call services that can be passed along Wimax/LTE data connections. I can foresee the carriers wanting to do this too.

Both Wimax and LTE likely won't get the speed needed to reach full 4G, but I do think the definition of 4G will be modified. Look for something like "wireless 4G" as the name.

Evo owners won't get what GSM users have unless CDMA users do VOIP-style phone service because the 4G and 3G radios don't operate simultaneously.

Upvote 0
Given that 4G is a wireless term, the idea that someone may yet market something, someday as Wireless 4G is simply sickening.

I suppose it's possible that they could re-define 4G - but it is after all an international spec and quite a bit the rest of world sees our cellular services for what they are: pure podunk.

Sprint's already re-defined it as a marketing term, others will follow suit and most here won't know the difference. (Quick - what do you call someone who only speaks one language? Ans: An American.)

And I welcome the day that all of our comm IS done with VoIP, we unite our telecom standards and just move on.

Upvote 0
This is really getting frustrating to see people still arguing about the phones. My Evo lasted 49 hours before dying and now i'm using it more and more and i get 15-20 hours which is pretty damn good. As for the App, theres many ways of viewing it. One can say the App store is better and one can say the marketplace is better. For me... honestly nearly both are the same. My bro has ip4 and my cousin has 3gs. I've compared apps with them with the ones they use the most and I tell them i have the exact/similar app on my Evo. The only difference in app stores is just games. It's not a huge difference now because i see games th at were once in the app store converted and transfered to the marketplace i.e. doodle jump. i'm not a fanboy of any phone, i chose evo because i know i can customize it without being restricted.

Here's something for you Evo fanboys ;)
- I was on a trip to vegas and there was traffic. I challenged my bro who has an ip4 to check gps and see why there was traffic. his screen showed some red lines representing traffic and nothing else. My screen showed red lines, told me theres a accident at the certain spot, how many feet I am away from it, when it occured and when it will clear up. It was accurate as hell even though our google nav is still in beta.

Upvote 0
What language is comprised of more words from any other language in the world and is by far the hardest to master? American English.:D

Yeah. No. Even the grandkids are pretty much nailing it, so I'm gonna call myth on this one.

Given that we're the standard language worldwide for all air traffic control (Orville and Wilbur, you guys still rock!!) and the semiconductor industry, the charge that we'r centric stands.

The idea that our language is the hardest to learn comes from foreigners on their third or fourth language.

I think I've proven that point, so in my best American voice - wah-la! (lmao)

Upvote 0
Do you really wanna go down that road? Apple's app store is "top leading" by volume and quality. The difference is so vast its not even funny.

UI, Performance, features, all 3 of these things are better on an iPhone app variant. For example run Facebook App on the iPhone and run the one on Android. There are examples like this across the board in the App store.

There are a few apps on the Android that are better, most are developed by Google themselves.

I agree with this statement completely. I was unimpressed with the Android market and quality of apps and it's one of the reasons I turned my EVO in at the expiration of my 30 day trial and went back to an iPhone. The Android market is pretty clunky compare to its Apple counterpart.

Upvote 0
Yeah. No. Even the grandkids are pretty much nailing it, so I'm gonna call myth on this one.

Given that we're the standard language worldwide for all air traffic control (Orville and Wilbur, you guys still rock!!) and the semiconductor industry, the charge that we'r centric stands.

The idea that our language is the hardest to learn comes from foreigners on their third or fourth language.

I think I've proven that point, so in my best American voice - wah-la! (lmao)

I was born in OH and speak only English, but can read and write Latin, Spanish, and German. The number of words, inconsistent verb tense and variations, dual-meaning/double-entendres, and number of multi-syllabic words alone are imposing.

And the fact that 50% of Americans read only at the 8-9th grade level is an indication that our language is complex. Most Americans would fail the U.S. HS graduate level exams on verbs and verb tenses alone.

Not saying people don't make excuses, but American English is definitely among the hardest languages to master.

Upvote 0
Not saying people don't make excuses, but American English is definitely among the hardest languages to master.

Yeah. I know. But at least exploring the issue with you in an argumentative fashion is orders of magnitude more interesting than the rest of this debate.

After all, it can easily proven that a much larger percentage of new EVO owners prefer English as their first language over the same metric for the iPhone 4 - and this counterpoint is even more interesting when one considers that the EVO was designed in Taiwan while the iP4 was designed in the United States of America.

Why that alone clarifies why this discussion is just completely on topic here, wouldn't you agree?

There simply must be some deeper meaning as to that ironic turnabout for language preference vs. phone preference.

As an aside though, always great to chat with someone with a decent education and I'd just like to also proffer that things like Word and a lessening of mid- and secondary-school discipline have completely eradicated the comma dictates put forth by Strunk and White.

Upvote 0
I notice that a lot of people say "I get 40 hrs of battery life!.....when I turn all the radios off.
Why leave 4G, GPS, and WiFi on if you're not using them? You make it sound as if people are turning the Evo into a pretty brick to get good battery life, and that's just not the case. I'm currently 9 hours unplugged with 67% battery left, and I actually have WiFi on, and the screen brightness is set by the sensor. I also have the Mario live wallpaper running, which is supposed to be a battery hog.

You think the claims of long battery life are exaggerated, and I say the claims of 5 hours of battery life are also exaggerated and not the norm.

Upvote 0
Yeah. I know. But at least exploring the issue with you in an argumentative fashion is orders of magnitude more interesting than the rest of this debate.

After all, it can easily proven that a much larger percentage of new EVO owners prefer English as their first language over the same metric for the iPhone 4 - and this counterpoint is even more interesting when one considers that the EVO was designed in Taiwan while the iP4 was designed in the United States of America.

Why that alone clarifies why this discussion is just completely on topic here, wouldn't you agree?

There simply must be some deeper meaning as to that ironic turnabout for language preference vs. phone preference.

As an aside though, always great to chat with someone with a decent education and I'd just like to also proffer that things like Word and a lessening of mid- and secondary-school discipline have completely eradicated the comma dictates put forth by Strunk and White.

Same to you. BTW, Strunk and White have been cast into oblivion by Wikipedia and other on-the-fly resources. It's definitely different. And you'd have to look far and wide to find anyone under 40 who's ever heard of Strunk and White.

Have a good day. I have to go clear up some other misconceptions on this forum, particularly ones about batteries. I'm not even an EE, but I did study some EE principles enough to know that a lot of the battery tips just won't work.

Upvote 0
Window Mobile....yes, it never really existed. It's dead to me, and most people.

If you don't think the iPhone prompted the smartphone revolution (the phone, the OS, and the App Store), your head is buried in the sand. WM has always sucked.

We'll see about Windows Mobile 7

Smartphone revolution? No, it didn't. Did it kick it up a notch? Absolutely, but without WM, Palm and BB, there would be no iPhone.

Upvote 0
Why leave 4G, GPS, and WiFi on if you're not using them? You make it sound as if people are turning the Evo into a pretty brick to get good battery life, and that's just not the case. I'm currently 9 hours unplugged with 67% battery left, and I actually have WiFi on, and the screen brightness is set by the sensor. I also have the Mario live wallpaper running, which is supposed to be a battery hog.

You think the claims of long battery life are exaggerated, and I say the claims of 5 hours of battery life are also exaggerated and not the norm.

I'm just saying that those who claim 40hrs battery life are clearly exaggerating. People who get that kind of battery life aren't using their phones.

Its fine if you do a personal comparison if your usage stays the same, but your usage cannot be compared to another person's usage. Meaning my EVO battery life won't ever match up with yours because of differing usages.

I use my phone heavily, so IMO anything that gets vastly better battery life than myself, I assume that the user is not using their phone as heavily as myself.

P.S. You get better battery life on a wifi connection.

Upvote 0
I'm just saying that those who claim 40hrs battery life are clearly exaggerating. People who get that kind of battery life aren't using their phones.

Its fine if you do a personal comparison if your usage stays the same, but your usage cannot be compared to another person's usage. Meaning my EVO battery life won't ever match up with yours because of differing usages.

I use my phone heavily, so IMO anything that gets vastly better battery life than myself, I assume that the user is not using their phone as heavily as myself.

Yawn i've gotten 40 hours + so many times with moderate usage. Flame shield on!

Upvote 0

Well that's why I leave it on when I'm at home (or Y5 turns it on, rather) :) Coming from a Pre, I was initially disappointed in the Evo battery life, because it seemed like more of the same to me. But almost 2 months later, I'm satisfied with the battery life. I don't know if it was my tweaking, me not being as enamored with it as I was at first, battery conditioning, or something HTC did with the last update, but the battery has exceeded my expectations. But as you said, YMMV.

I think I've lost track of what everyone's arguing about :D I don't see how anyone could say either of these phones is a dog (not that you're saying that) -- they represent the cream of the crop for two entirely different user bases.

Upvote 0
I owned both, and mine didn't.....

Besides, I'm sure your 3gs battery was used, and the Evo's was new. Standby time on the 3gs w/ os4 is amazing.

Hmm sorry but 15-20% by 10pm at night for me sucked on the 3Gs with everything off except BT. EVO has 65% right now aat 7:12pm and hasn't seen a charger since 6:30am. And I own both.

Upvote 0
I call shenanigans. After all the reviews there's no way an EVO outpaces the iPhone 4 in battery life.

I don't know your usage trends so your experience may be different.

Me personally my battery life is based off of consistent heavy use

Where did I say iphone 4? I said my 3Gs. I use my phones for work. So I am on them a lot. I get Exchange email as well at least 100 a day.

To get good life out of my iphone so it lasts I had to turn mostly everything off. And only 20% left. And my EVO has over 40% more life left vs the iphone.

Upvote 0
Hmm sorry but 15-20% by 10pm at night for me sucked on the 3Gs with everything off except BT. EVO has 65% right now aat 7:12pm and hasn't seen a charger since 6:30am. And I own both.

I never owned a 3GS so I can't compare that. All I know is that my Evo is dead by 4pm. I did do all of the battery optimizations too. The EVO has ok battery life, great battery life is a stretch.

Upvote 0
I never owned a 3GS so I can't compare that. All I know is that my Evo is dead by 4pm. I did do all of the battery optimizations too. The EVO has ok battery life, great battery life is a stretch.

You must be doing something wrong or have something running as my phone in stock form would make it longer than that. I did the battery adjustments and get even better now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones